Forge burner question

billyO

Hello all. I hope everyone is staying healthy and safe.
The last couple of times I've fired up my forge, I noticed that when starting, only about 1/2 of the holes in my ribbon burner seem to be firing. (See video)
I've cleaned out the orifices recently, so nothing's blocking them, and also noticed that when up to heat, I can see flames out of all of them, Any ideas?

Last edited:
Merry Christmas!!
OK....to the burner, I don't have a scientific explanation, but do know from experience, that it is very common, with most types of forge burners..... especially those that are high volume, low pressure, such as a ribbon. Even my single, blown burner has to be adjusted from startup to the point that it reaches using temp. In other words, it's not something to be concerned/alarmed about... it's just the nature of the beast. :)

I hope it's a Merry Christmas for you all as well.
Thank's Ed. I hadn't noticed it before, but that could be either because I just never noticed it, or more likely, over the past year I've been trying to minimize my fuel usage.
Stay safe everyone!

It's (probably) just the nature of the beast.

The flame will establish where the flame speed through the mixture matches the mixture speed. The flame speed varies with several factors, one of which it temperature. As the mixture exits the burner nozzle, it tends to spread out and slow down. With a cold forge, the flame speed is low and will match the mixture speed some way from the nozzle. As the forge gets hotter, the flame speed increases and matches the mixture speed at, or very close to, the nozzle.

So long as you are not finding the lift-off is so bad that you can't get the forge hot enough to work with, don't worry about it.

Back