Fresh take on a simple grinder

sharpcats

I found this to be very interesting. This grinder looks like a flint stone machine, but when you see it operate, it is anything but! Take a look, and check it out in action on YouTube here:

[video=youtube;DupWsV-iiys]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DupWsV-iiys&feature=related[/video]

It is very interesting.

Very interesting. I watched the whole series. No patterns, no epoxy, not heat treating (already done at the file factory). I can see how this would be very appealing to some makers!!

Cool video. Grinder is interesting also. Noticed he set his drill press up for the spinning helicopter of death, and that he doesn't have a respirator or safety glasses. Makes a nice knife though.

Yeah, I thought his grinder setup was quite interesting. The wheels looked like they were made of wood.

Eric

Good video. Its interesting to see guy with a machinist background make knives vs. a guy that comes from a wood working background. They use tools differently.

Cool video. Grinder is interesting also. Noticed he set his drill press up for the spinning helicopter of death, and that he doesn't have a respirator or safety glasses. Makes a nice knife though.

My son said the same thing! (he just turned 15, so, I had to explain). My take on that, is that he knows his tools, and compromised safety for sake of the video. I didn't see any flesh and blood flying, so I guess chest ex rays would be needed to fully understand the risk!

Good video. Its interesting to see guy with a machinist background make knives vs. a guy that comes from a wood working background. They use tools differently.

I was thinking that too, he does several machinist things that knifemakers don't normally do

Yeah, he mentioned his background was . His tools seemed to "get the job done", that is what I got from it! His choice of metals, doesn't mean he couldn't take "super steel" to the grinder and start some sssssserious, knives

So many little Tricks and Secrets were revealed to me in that Video!!! And the Wooden Wheel Grinder, with its hinged Gravity Tension System, or whatever you would call it, That I am Confident I could build!!! Thank You for this Post, from this Newb with so much to learn.
Oh, and I agree about the Safety Issues, I kept dropping my Jaw everytime he made a Safety Foul. He makes me look like my name ought to be Safety Mcgee.

Glasses so he can see while grinding, but none when running a freaking chop saw.

Wonder if the plan is to just replace the eyes with glass once some of that hot slag pops those goo filled orbs?

Did you notice the block of wood trick. The block has an angle on it. Gives me an idea. A block of aluminum with a handle on the back and a rare earth magnet set into the angled face.

The Grinder wheel and the power supply were a cool trick! It did look like a wood wheel running a 2 X 72" ??
I made a few with files when I started cuz I couldn't afford any other metals. They look like they would be simple little tool box knives. Each to his own!!
I noticed first that he was grinding without even his reading glasses! Then said, Were are my Glasses? And put those silly No Protection little things on.
I truly hope this man still has two eyes and can breathe in another few years!:eek:

Laurence
www.rhinoknives.com/

I also take a word with Jason about the Helicopter of spinning death!

I've never met or heard of a "Machinist" That had a circle of shame drilled in the table of his drill press and for you newer guys, Always put a piece of backing under the piece of Plain/hardened steel. If you don't the drill bit or steel is more likely to fracture and send pieces of steel flying everywhere.

I use wood underneath whatever I am drilling anything. I also wear a full cow hide apron to protect "The Family Jewels"
and other things! It's like a medieval ballistic armor apron.

I certainly don't know everything guys, But I like to stress the safety points I've learned to our newer brethren.

If you re not protecting it! You must not care about it!:sad:

I wish all of us the best!

Laurence
www.rhinoknives.com/

Keeping things simple - outstanding video! Thanks for posting. Nice work without all the fuss.

Back