From the scrap bin, a WIP

Von Gruff

KNIFE MAKER
Some time back I was cutting out a boning knife and cut too far on the underside of the handle so put it in the scrap drawer and yesterday was having a rat around in there and pulled it out. I decided to do a hidden tang from it and also to change the blade shape a little so ground the tang and a light clip point which made me think that there was something worthwhile to be had from the throwaway.
8a73yL3l.jpg

With the file guide the shoulders were filed in.
1gg0L8Il.jpg

A piece of 1/2 in square brass on the tang to mark in the slot location.
The slot was started for the tapered tang (tapered both ways) but left at this stage untill after the heat treating and final sanding
KZvpIerl.jpg

After heat treating
JhfUgBOl.jpg

and cllean up to 1000grit and back to 600
gTtkbzKl.jpg

The bolster could then be finished filed into place
qvwWbrql.jpg

I had a small piece of swamp kauri with not a lot of figure in it that was just big enough to suit the handle I wanted to put on the knife so cut and prepared that with the tang marked on the sides so the slot coulld be drilled and broaced to fit.
Zt7MGJjl.jpg

With a black liner piece between the brass and the handle it was all epoxied together and after a clean up is sitting clamped up overnight.
hx5RZacl.jpg

Got it all shaped up this morning and a first coat of finish on it so wil get a pic later in the day. Quite pleased with how it came out.

Got a few coats of finish on it so it is showing off as good as it will get. A bit annoyed as I failed to put my mark on it seeing as it was a retreival from the scrap bin and didn't follow the usual order of process's but will leave it without a mark. It just needs sharpening now.
igzaMp6l.jpg

UTc062Pl.jpg

Sleek design. Looks great. I’m amazed how productive so many knife makers are on this forum. You must not sleep very much.

I really like it. I wish it was the KITH knife. I would use the heck out of that thing...
I have to ask what you could see yourself using this for Dennis. I simplly made it to see what could be salvaged but dont see it being very usefulll for anyone here in NZ as the long finger guard would get in the way for any of the uses I might put something like that to. Certainly not in a hunting or kitchen usage so it will probably sit in the made it just to see if I could pile.

I hunt quite a bit. I would use it to field dress ducks, geese, pheasants, quail, turkey. Probably deer, antelope. Definitely fur harvest like fox, coyote, raccoons. I also have a knife on my desk all the time for opening boxes, packages, envelopes. I like knives and that one just appeals to me.

My edc is a pocket knife I made a few years back so that takes care of general day to day chores (we can not carry a fixed blade knife here) and I have a multiplicity of hunting knives as I have been perfecting the style to our hunting needs over the last 50 years or so.

That's a fine looking knife Von, as for it's intended purpose Id just say cut'in stuff :D
True Steve but having a multiplicity of knives to grab when something needs 'cuttin', be it fur, feathers, leather paper or a piece of string it would only confuse this old guy to add another one to the various places I have knives stashed for when I need them :confused::confused:

The back of the knife is to straight for boning in it be perfect if it curved a little i like it alot thou would use it for incising livers

The back of the knife is to straight for boning in it be perfect if it curved a little i like it alot thou would use it for incising livers
If you read the OP you will see that I changed the shape so this particular knife IS NOT supposed to be a boning knife.

Some time back I was cutting out a boning knife and cut too far on the underside of the handle so put it in the scrap drawer and yesterday was having a rat around in there and pulled it out. I decided to do a hidden tang from it and also to change the blade shape a little so ground the tang and a light clip point which made me think that there was something worthwhile to be had from the throwaway.

Back