GeneK's KITH Bowie

Thanks everyone. It's not where I want to be with hamons, but for the 5th one, I'll take it. Here it is after 12 etchings.

Here's a short video of it.

My process for etching a hamon starts with a 10 - 15 second soak in ferric chloride that has been diluted 4-1 with distilled water. Then I spray it down with windex. While the windex is still on the blade, I use this to polish it.

Polishing the first etch. You can see the hamon hasn't "popped" yet.

Next, I wash with dawn in hot water then dry with blue shop towels per Ed's suggestion. Then repeat until I don't see any changes in the look of the hamon. After 4-5 etches, the hamon really starts to show good definition. I usually do 10 - 12 etches then a light polish again after washing it.

You must have been reading my mind because I was about to ask what your procedure was. Do you usr the same routine on damascus?

You must have been reading my mind because I was about to ask what your procedure was. Do you usr the same routine on damascus?

Etching damascus is done differently. On it, I etch for longer periods, usually 15 - 30 minutes at a time. After etching and spraying with windex, I use 2000 or 2500 grit paper with a steel backer and sand one direction, pull strokes, until the 15N20 in the damascus is cleaned up and shiny. I usually etch it 3 - 5 times, until there is a good depth difference between the 2 steels.

Etching damascus is done differently. On it, I etch for longer periods, usually 15 - 30 minutes at a time. After etching and spraying with windex, I use 2000 or 2500 grit paper with a steel backer and sand one direction, pull strokes, until the 15N20 in the damascus is cleaned up and shiny. I usually etch it 3 - 5 times, until there is a good depth difference between the 2 steels.
Thanks Gene. I have a Damascus blade to etch in a few days and I'll try your method.

Gene that Hamon is beautiful. What is the process to make the hard steel lighter?
In my limited knowledge I thought the harder steel etched darker than the clay covered steel.

Thanks everyone.

Gene that Hamon is beautiful. What is the process to make the hard steel lighter?
In my limited knowledge I thought the harder steel etched darker than the clay covered steel.

This is one of those questions that I have to answer with "I don't have a clue, I'm just winging it." I'll have to research it some or let someone chime in who knows the answer. I did look real quick in the custom knife forum and pictures from Caleb Royer and John Doyle show hamons with the hardened steel etching lighter.

Gene, I have to ask how you got your hamon to turn out exactly opposite from everyone I have ever attempted. My hardened steel always ends up darker that my softer steel but yours is opposite. Your edge is light and softer steel is dark. How do you do that?

Back