Gents liner lock WIP

Boss, how long you been engraving? To my eye I don't see anything wrong but, I am jealous!! I have tried some engraving work on wood and it is them dang oh oh's that get me!!! That and my eyes ain't as good as they used to be!!
What kind of tools to you use when doing that kind of engraving?? I'd like to see a pic of what you are using!!!

I have had my set up for probably 10+ years. I have dabbled with it over the years but nothing serious until the last couple of months. I have decided it's time to get up to speed on it. In 2 weeks I will spend a week at GRS in Kansas at a beginner class. After that, I'll look for a more advanced class with a master engraver.

The footprint is very small. I have a little desk set up in my office and it's all you need.

My equipment is a Lindsay classic airgraver, GRS Magnum vise, Oman 10x stereo microscrope with a .5 Barlow lens (this reduces the magnification but gives you additional room to work under the scope), a Silentaire compressor (quiet as a refrigerator) and graver sharpening stuff. Everything is done under the scope. The entire set up has cost is around the same as a good commercial knife grinder.

A guy named Shaun Hughes on youtube has a series of videos on how to make your own pneumatic graver for a very low cost. I have seen several guys put it together and use it. Anyone can engrave, it just time, practice and patience. The one thing I would change in my progress is I should have spent more time practice drawing scrolls and other designs. I am paying for that now trying to catch that part of it up.

I have had my set up for probably 10+ years. I have dabbled with it over the years but nothing serious until the last couple of months. I have decided it's time to get up to speed on it. In 2 weeks I will spend a week at GRS in Kansas at a beginner class. After that, I'll look for a more advanced class with a master engraver.

The footprint is very small. I have a little desk set up in my office and it's all you need.

My equipment is a Lindsay classic airgraver, GRS Magnum vise, Oman 10x stereo microscrope with a .5 Barlow lens (this reduces the magnification but gives you additional room to work under the scope), a Silentaire compressor (quiet as a refrigerator) and graver sharpening stuff. Everything is done under the scope. The entire set up has cost is around the same as a good commercial knife grinder.

A guy named Shaun Hughes on youtube has a series of videos on how to make your own pneumatic graver for a very low cost. I have seen several guys put it together and use it. Anyone can engrave, it just time, practice and patience. The one thing I would change in my progress is I should have spent more time practice drawing scrolls and other designs. I am paying for that now trying to catch that part of it up.

View attachment 68668View attachment 68669
Not real familiar with engraving. So forgive the stupid questions! Do you use the scope on the right the entire time you are engraving?? Can you engrave with a head magnifier?? I see one in the pic on the right!!

Engraving and scrimshaw both have always fascinated me. Back when I was still in HS I was pretty good about drawing but now I sometimes have a twitch in my right hand and the eyes ain't near as good as they used to be!! To me the engraving is the gravy on top of the potatoes, so to speak! :oops::p

Not real familiar with engraving. So forgive the stupid questions! Do you use the scope on the right the entire time you are engraving?? Can you engrave with a head magnifier?? I see one in the pic on the right!!

Engraving and scrimshaw both have always fascinated me. Back when I was still in HS I was pretty good about drawing but now I sometimes have a twitch in my right hand and the eyes ain't near as good as they used to be!! To me the engraving is the gravy on top of the potatoes, so to speak! :oops::p

Most use a scope the entire time. Some guys will use eye loupes or optivisor but your eyes have to be pretty good. Hammer and chisel guys working on bigger pieces tend to use an optivisor.

Thanks for taking the time to show all the steps you went thru. One whole lot of time and patience. Very Nice !!

Back