Giraffe bone lock back folder

rcknives

Finished this lock back folder yesterday. The blade, lock and spring mechanism are made from A2 steel. Handle material is giraffe bone with stainless hardware and stainless shield inlay. Dimensions are 4 1/4" closed and 7 1/2" open. Blade length is 3 1/8".

Attachments

• GBLB.5.jpg
    GBLB.5.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 88
  • GBLB.4.jpg
    GBLB.4.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 88
  • GBLB.3.jpg
    GBLB.3.jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 93
  • GBLB.2.jpg
    GBLB.2.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 103
  • GBLB.1.jpg
    GBLB.1.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 126
Thanks for the compliments guys. I kicked it around for a while thinking of a name for this knife and decided to just call it the "MAGNUM". What do you think?

That folder is sweeeet! From the color to the precision work, a real complete package! Two thumbs up!

Now that's my kind of knife! Excellent choice of materials and finish. If you don't mind me asking, what process do you use to inlay your shields? It looks like yours fit like a glove. I'm thinking of giving it a try on one of my knives, but haven't really decided on the best method. Any info you are willing to share would be appreciated.

BrandantR,

I use the templates sold by Tracy. I made a holder for my mill using an O-1 slab with the dimensions of 1/2" thick by 3" wide by 10" long and I made 2 strips of 1/8" O-1 steel to hold the template down while milling. It takes about 5 minutes to mill out the slot and I secure the shield inlay using loctite 324 bond and 7075 activator. I hope that helps.

Brandant, any chance you'd post a pic of your shield holder?

Erik

BrandantR,

I use the templates sold by Tracy. I made a holder for my mill using an O-1 slab with the dimensions of 1/2" thick by 3" wide by 10" long and I made 2 strips of 1/8" O-1 steel to hold the template down while milling. It takes about 5 minutes to mill out the slot and I secure the shield inlay using loctite 324 bond and 7075 activator. I hope that helps.

Thanks for the response, Robert. I've seen those templates before that Tracy sells, but I wasn't sure how to best use them. I have a small shop with limited tools, so, no mill at my disposal. Do you think a rotary tool with a router base would work with the template for removing material? Kind of a poor man's mill. I don't mean to highjack this thread, it's just a question I've had for some time.

Thanks for the response, Robert. I've seen those templates before that Tracy sells, but I wasn't sure how to best use them. I have a small shop with limited tools, so, no mill at my disposal. Do you think a rotary tool with a router base would work with the template for removing material? Kind of a poor man's mill. I don't mean to highjack this thread, it's just a question I've had for some time.

I cant see why a router wouldn't work. Use a 1/16" end mill and get after it. It should work just fine. I just measure the thickness of the shield and mill out approx. half of that and it should be fine.

Back