Gourdito

One

Banned
Here's a new "gourd knife", (for scraping and carving gourds, EDC etc.)… part of my recent “Neo-traditional” cutler’s art series.

Handle- Gourd (reinforced)
Fittings- Copper
Blade- 1095

OAL- 7 inches

DSCN7167-003_zps0a5b2507.jpg

DSCN7178-001_zps0c50f2c5.jpg

DSCN7170-002_zps5647f496.jpg

DSCN7149-001_zpsa9a3022c.jpg

Last edited:
Tai,
Very handsome looking Gourd Knife.
I like that you have a gourd scraper with a gourd handle. Now if I can just make a cheese knife with a cheese handle??:biggrin:

Do you fill the gourd with a resin or other material?

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Thanks.

It has a brass tube inside running the full length of the handle with a nice tight friction fit and epoxy through the pinched it central portion and front. It also has hard adhesive foam (From Gorilla Glue and water) in the chambers. The brass tube extends through the front and the ferrule fabrication is constructed around it. The tang also fits inside the brass tube, with epoxy.

Fun little "art knife" construction... fully functional.

I'm particularly fond of the little "warts" on the hind end.

Last edited:
Tai,
You have a affinity for things that have warts on the hind end? LOL. Gorilla glue foam is some strong stuff! It sounds like the handle is very well reinforced.

Beautiful work.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

I've never seen anything without a few warts on the hind end! LOL

... but it's all in how they are arranged.

I missed the warts the first time I saw the photo's. Must be one of those popcorn gourds. I love the shape of this gourd. I hope that the ones I am thinking are stunted are the miniature gourds similar to what you used on Gourdito.

Ray, This one is called a miniature bottle gourd. I can't remember what all the seeds I sent you were, but I'm pretty sure some were miniatures.

Tia I really like the artistry of that knife. How do you blend the ends on the twisted copper wire together where they meet so that the ends don't show. I really have trouble with that.

Doug, part of it is luck. But, basically silver braze the ends and do a little clean up and chasing with some hand tools. I also position the seams in line with the edge, where they are the least noticeable.

If it comes out too far off, I do that part over.

Last edited:
Thanks Tia. I appreciate that. I just have to master the technique. I think that I have been using too much heat & messing thing up.

Back