Graduation Present

Church & Son

Our 16 yr. old son, Voodoo (nickname) the younger half of Church & Son and defiantly the smarter half, graduated High School and is starting a local Collage next week. He makes and sells Airsoft legal Tomahawks which have a hard leather wrap around blade. He told me he would like to have one of those "real steel" ones, through the haft, but I had to pretty it up some. This one is for him;

voodoo4.jpg

voodoo1.jpgvoodo3.jpg

voodoo2.jpg

It is from a at least 100 yr. old plow, hot cut and filed, wrapped with rawhide thongs and pinned with wrought. The haft is Sweetgum, torched then scraped, with a rawhide wrap with beads on some brain tanned scraps, with a little fringe under the head. The blade cover is rawhide, the longest beaded thong wraps around the head to keep in place. Finished with homebrew dirt, grease and varnish. We are proud of the Voodoo, but don't tell him cause he already has the arrogant attitude of his Dad........Randy

Last edited:
Randy,
Arrogance will get you everywhere, especially when you can back it up with work like this. Great looking hawk. Wade

Hi Randy thats a real cool piece you made there
thanks for showing ,good seeing old steel begin a new life .
Chris

Beautiful. The roughness of the head and that aging process you do really makes it something. If I didn't know better, I would have thought I was looking at a real relic from the Plains days. Fantastic all the way around.

Thank You Gents for all the kind remarks

If I didn't know better, I would have thought I was looking at a real relic from the Plains days
Mr. VaughnT, that one makes my day, I try to make articles that use period correct materials and techniques, then add a lifetime of use, additions and repairs, years of dirt and grime, sort of like me--road worn--
Thanks again, means a lot coming from talented people.......Randy

It looks REALLY sharp
Nice looking hawk

3308875574_a63f181e76.jpg

From the history museum in Santa Fe, New Mexico
3760681417_b6bc919ec8_b.jpg

http://www.nmhistorymuseum.org/

Last edited:
Thanks for the compliment and the link Mr. Trentrock, neat place, I built some exhibits for that museum but didn't get to play with any of the toys.
Here's a wrap around made from a file I was piddling with today. All hammer work, folded and welded the end over twice. First time I've done that, have to play with it some more. Cleaned up with sandpaper and filed the edge, heat treat it next time. The Bowies handle got oiled and scorched, still have to scrape it. Sunny and sixty in 'Carolina, had to fire up the Redbud Forge. Thanks again......Randy

Attachments

• wrap2.jpg
    wrap2.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 2
  • wrap1.jpg
    wrap1.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 2
  • wrap3.jpg
    wrap3.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Back