Greetings from Maple Grove, MN

TimGinMN

Hi all - Greetings from Maple Grove, MN!
I posted this info in somebody else's intro post earlier this week, but thought I'd make a new one too. Sorry for the duplication...
I'm new to this forum and knifemaking... well knife "handling" is more appropriate. I have put handles on about a half dozen blanks so far and re-handled an old filet knife. Started back in November as a way to give unique Christmas gifts to my Dad and brother. Probably won't get into the forging end of things, but have a few old files around I might try grinding into something resembling a blade. I started with "kits" from Rockler and Woodcraft, but have bought a few cheap blanks on eBay. Waiting until my skills improve before dropping a ton of dough on good blades.
Tim Gaffron

Here's pics of a couple of my knives:

Hi Tim.
If you haven’t already look at Facebook Midwest Knifemaker Guild page. We have our first meeting coming up April 27 here in Mankato. You will meet several other local makers and we will start planning more activities.

Hi Tim.
If you haven’t already look at Facebook Midwest Knifemaker Guild page. We have our first meeting coming up April 27 here in Mankato. You will meet several other local makers and we will start planning more activities.
Hi Tracy,
I saw that in another post and have it on my calendar. Joined the FB page too. Not sure if I'll make it yet. I do want to get down to your shop sometime in the near future when I have some extra cash!
Tim

Last edited:
Welcome! Great job on the handles. I started the same way- reconditioning old knives. Then it occurred to me that the only part I wasn’t making from scratch was the blade.

Glad to have you. Everyone here is super helpful so don’t be shy.

Welcome! Great job on the handles. I started the same way- reconditioning old knives. Then it occurred to me that the only part I wasn’t making from scratch was the blade.

Glad to have you. Everyone here is super helpful so don’t be shy.
Thanks John!

Thank you! I was literally just on your website and watching the handle shaping videos you posted on another string. Saw parts 1, 2 and 3. Are there more parts coming? I want to see how this comes out!
Tim
Not in that series Tim. It was just to answer a question someone had asked on how I took my handles from the glue up to the sanding process.

Back