Greetings from the Highlands of Maine

Rockdog

I have been lurking around this forum since last December and have been so blown away by the quality of the work shown in all the photos that I have not posted on any of the forums till now. I only jump in now because I have been bitten by this bug and it won't let go. I have carried a knife or two since I was like 5 years old. I grew up on lobster boats and docks so there was always a need. I got interested in making my own by watching some online vids about blacksmithing a year or two ago. I have to date made only four knives and they are simple to say the least. All of the materials are scavenged steel and pins to bits of black walnut I cleared out of my in-laws yard. I have done all my work so far with only hand tools and a Dremel. I guess when the bug bites you will do anything you can to create.

Rockdog,
Glad to have you join us! Yep! once you get bitten by the knife making bug there is no turning back. I started with hand tools, now I have about 10 different machines LOL
Post some pictures of your knives when you get a chance.

Thanks for the welcome all. Rasret01 I would love to talk knives with you and will definately take you up on that soon. I got to say that this place seems to have the best folks around for talking through any issues or difficulties that could possibly come up. What a great place for anyone interested in knives to go. Thanks to all of you guys who take the time to answer all the questions. I will try and look up any I have before I ask them.

Welcome to KD. Everyone checks their ego at the door here so no worries.
t

Let the critique begin...

Knife work 003.jpgKnife work 001.jpgKnife work 002.jpg

OK so here is the first two knives I have ever made...ever, No kits no anything before these. I went into this knowing nothing more than I had to make a knife to try and scratch the itch I couldn't reach any other way. So, the first one was the ugly round handled paring knife looking thing. That one has the black walnut handle from my in-laws yard for scales and pieces of aluminum campaign sign for pins and the blank is cut out of old used up saw mill band saw blade. The second one is the same except the handle is made out of old rock maple fire wood that I worked down with a hatchet and then a hand saw. The only power tools used on either of these was the Dremel tool I used to cut the metal blanks and the pins and the Craftsman grinder I used to grind the pins and the initial grinds on the knife blanks. All else was done with hand tools, rasps, files, sand paper and a pane of glass...etc. So there it is. Nowhere near what you all are posting but it’s where I start from and I can't wait to get where I am going. Thanks for your advice and questions in advance and I look forward to any help and critique I can get so let me have it...

that bad... well I will keep trying. I got an old 14" circular saw blade to play with and picked up a few books so I will keep trying.

Keep on learning and refining! The great thing about this craft is that it can never be perfected! Nobody ever "gets to where they are going". But that's the beauty of it. Get you a copy of a book called "the 50 dollar knife shop" and learn how you can get you some basic tools set up very cheaply and also the basics of heat treating. That book will teach you a ton and will put you on the right path. Good luck and feel free to ask questions if you need to. We are all here to help!

Thanks, KCorn, I actually just got that book a few weeks ago and have been reading and re reading it...I have gained a lot of knowledge and am working at applying it. There is so much to learn but I just keep working at it and the things are getting better. I just learned about draw filing and am amazed by how much that one process can change things. There is so much to getting the details right. I am glad I started this on my own and glad that I have made the few knives I have because they show me what can be done and lead me to where I can go. It really is a great addiction and I am loving it. I just started my 4th knife and am working with much thicker steel and am amazed by what is available to do with it. I have only started roughing in the bevels and have had an offer from someone to buy it from me. It’s encouraging for sure. Thanks.

I like that you used bark to make a sheath very cool you sure do have the right attitude to start welcome aboard! Like the screen name too!

Thanks arock

The bark sheath was an idea from the Backwoodsman magazine, I have not worked with leather yet but wanted a safe way to carry around the little beater knife. It works well but I am already seeing many improvements for the next one. The Screen name comes from my Great Grandfather actually he was a quarrymen and rockdogs where tools used to skid cut stones around and out of the granite quarry he worked in, and I love rock and roll, and it just sounds cool.

Back