Grinding S35VN post heat treat

KDX

I have some S35VN that I'll be grinding (60-61Rc) and I was wondering if anyone had any advice/tips/trick that they would care to share.

It's a bit easier than CPM- S30V its sister steel. The literature says 20% easier and that seems about right.

Just dip, wipe the grinder side, grind, Dip , wipe, grind. Fresh Ceramic belts. I like VSM, but there's Blaze and Merrit Budget belt along with 3M Cubatron. I run about about 50% speed. I start with a 36 g, then a 60 G to even things up and the 120 to clean it up and go on to your finishing sequence. I use Cork and Scothbrites.

I grind all of my blades bevels post HT. Nice clean grinds and no worries about warping.
Have fun and stay safe.

Thanks for the info Laurence. I've only ground AEB-L post heat treat and was thinking this might be a real bear to work with.

Last edited:
I know it's not that fun to mirror polish after heat. I usually use a satin finish from a non-woven belt or stone wash it.
It can be finished to whatever level you want but it gets tedious pretty quick the farther you want to take it. I guess my preference for it is stonewashed. It's a good steel for sure.

Back