Grinding Wheels for Surface Grinding Blade Steel

ArtB

I’m in need of some recommendations for grinding wheel brands (Norton, etc.,) and specifications (Grit size, hardness, etc.,) for surface grinding soft 440C, ATS34, S30V, and CPM154 steel. My surface grinder is a manual feed 6x18 Chevalier and I have a spray mist coolant system. My objective is to surface grind the soft steel in knife size blanks (1 ½” x 9”), typically .145 thick stock to nominal 1/8 size (.125 +/- .001) and a surface finish of 32RMS. Any help would be appreciated.

In the past I have used Norton stones with good success. I think one of the reason this post hasn't gotten much response is that many of us have converted our surface grinders to run 2x72" belts. I simply use the same belts on my surface grinder that I use on my Square wheel and KMG grinders. From 50 grit, all the way up to 2000 grit. I have to admit, although I've been doing this for a long time, I'm not familiar with what "32RMS" means?

32 root mean square, it's an engineering spec for the maximum deviation between peaks and valleys on a surface.

Back