Guns, Cut N Shoots and other dual threat weapons

Great Thread! What amazes me beyond the technicality of what they were able to produce in the 16th century, is the amount of detail they put into engraving each and every piece of it!

ok so not duel threat persay but while i was looking around for pepper boxed and home gunsmithing forums to join found this fun setup
post-6-00334-pix501522903.jpg

will you cut me a discount for a double like this that looks liek the newell :)

how bout just let us all see how it comes together

If/when I build this one I'll call it "The Harner Double 45" has a good ring to it doesnt it?
will you cut me a discount for a double like this that looks liek the newell :)

how bout just let us all see how it comes together

Last edited:
My friend Steven Janik scored me a book I've been wanting for 10 years. Here he is reading it, what a tease! I absolutely cant wait to get it. "Blades and Barrels" You're the Man Steven!

photo.jpg

Inspired by the legendary Bruce Bump. I made this in about 23hrs over Friday and Yesterday. I call it the Cutlass 3/31 (for the finish date). 17" overall, 11 blade, 9" edge. handle is black paper micarta, dovetailed into the bolsters. shoots a .36calibre lead ball. barrel is just a wee under 4", and the bore is 3 3/8" deep. hammer and trigger also serve as fingerguard, with a half stop to protect the cap from impact (you don't want it to go off accidentally before the zombies attack)... Hope you like the pics, and a big THANK YOU to Bruce for his inspiration!!!!!!

102_0033.jpg

102_0032.jpg

102_0034.jpg

102_0035.jpg

102_0036.jpg

Last edited:
Mykul,
I think you did well. It has good lines and proportions and must be a "Blast" to shoot. Any chance we can get a peek inside?

Very cool to see someone taking inspiration from Bruce's WIPs. I too would love a peak inside. Very impressive Mykul.

Mykul,
I think you did well. It has good lines and proportions and must be a "Blast" to shoot. Any chance we can get a peek inside?

This item has sold. But lucky for us, the new owner needs me to hold it for a couple weeks while he's out of town... During that time, I'll plan to take it out and shoot it and make a "YouTube" video so you all can see it in action. I'll get pics of the inside in a day or two, I'm rather busy at the moment. Thanks for the kind words!
-M

PS,.. I'm quite sure there will be more to come, this one was just too much fun to make...

Good eve Gents. Sorry, I've been a bit busy as of late, but I finally took pics of the inside for those who were curious... You'll notice a long slot/groove into the handle, that's where I was originally going to use a leaf spring but later changed it to a coil spring... Also the screws holding it together, I used the same button head screws as the ones that hold on the scales but I turned 'em down a bit on the lathe so they would have a smaller counterbore and look more 'neat'... since this first one, I have 5 more on order... Fancy that! Hope you like the pics...
-Michael

102_0076.jpg

102_0077.jpg

102_0078.jpg

Thanks for the inside shots Mykul. Pretty uncomplicated and straightforward. The coil main spring is much shorter than I,m used to. Is there allot of pressure on the sear?

I finished another one today... Thought you all would like to see it... It's a wee bit shorter than the first, and I left it without a gunblue finish as Bruce suggested (I like it this way also!)... Also the scales are pinned on as opposed to screws... I'm sure as I do more of these they'll get better, just like if you look at my first few knives you'll see quite a development over time as true with any other maker...
-Cheers!
-M

102_0103.jpg

102_0102.jpg

102_0101.jpg

Back