Hand sanding question

Gliden07

I've started trying hollow grinds with the 12" wheel I have. I'm actually doing pretty good with them! The question I have and something I never considered was how to hand finish sand the concave portion of the grind? I did the final shape and ground down to an A30 Trizac belt (800G equal is what I was told) heat treated blade cleaned it up on grinder again. But now I need to finish sand by hand and was wondering how I should do it.

I've started trying hollow grinds with the 12" wheel I have. I'm actually doing pretty good with them! The question I have and something I never considered was how to hand finish sand the concave portion of the grind? I did the final shape and ground down to an A30 Trizac belt (800G equal is what I was told) heat treated blade cleaned it up on grinder again. But now I need to finish sand by hand and was wondering how I should do it.
I use two methods for hand sanding a hollow grind. The first is taking an old contact wheel of the same diameter that was used to grind the blade. I mount it in a bench vise and attach strips of Rhynowet sandpaper to the wheel. The second method is using a piece of wood that I shaped to the same diameter of the wheel used to grind and use it as a sanding block. I've heard of guys cutting a hockey puck in half to use in the same manner. There was someone selling various radiused steel handing sanding blocks, but I can't remember who that was or if they still do it.

Most of the makers that I know, who do hollow grinds, either buy or make "sanding sticks" that match the radius of the hollow grind(s) the apply to blades. I've only seen one or two commercial sources, and have seem "homemade" ones of wood, Micarta, hard rubber, or aluminum.

In my effort to get away from hand sanding I do a final grind for looks with a fine belt...then buff the hollow grind. It does not mirror finish...you can see the grind mark's but they are very clean. Dunk often.

I love hollow ground knives. My favorite looking grind...

Last edited:
In my effort to get away from hand sanding I do a final grind for looks with a fine belt...then buff the hollow grind. It does not mirror finish...you can see the grind mark's but they are very clean. Dunk often.

I love hollow ground knives. My favorite looking grind...

I'm really starting to like them. I like the fact that once I establish the hollow I can set it right in and RIP the grind out without to much concern!

Back