Handle Bolts

Denny Eller

Could someone direct me to a source for the heavy duty handle bolts used on the big tactical knives? Boss, I've searched USAKS and either I don't know what I'm looking for or you don't seem to carry them. I think they are used so that the scales can be removed at some later date.

I'm familiar with Corby bolts, Boss, but the ones I have seen seem to have Phillips heads and are really rugged looking. The heads aren't ground off but left plain.

I am going to need a picture or a link then to see one.

Wade, I believe you have found what I am looking for. I haven't used them before. Is there anything special I should know about drilling for them?

Oh...well then.
Those are female stand offs in real life. In the knife bidness we(?) call them connectors. I have two sizes. 1/4" squared and 3/16" squared. They use an 8-32 and 6-32 screw respectively. I use 3/8" black screws in this one.
Basically, match up 1/4" holes. Counter sink your handle material with an 82 degree counter sink just enough so the flat head screw is flush.
:running dog:

num1front.jpg

I've used the connectors and screws from Boss' store without problem. Makes for a great look, and I use screwed-and-glued construction, meaning that I premanently attach the handles and screws in place. I've seen removable handles done, but I think it leaves you open to more risk of corrosion and handle failure. Here's a blade I finished a while back for a military giveaway on Bladeforums. I countersunk just a bit past flush with the handle as I liked the look:

IMG_0232.jpg

IMG_0240.jpg

I also really like the look you can get with similar construction with button-heads.

--nathan

Thanks, Nathan, Boss and Wade. That is exactly what I was looking for. They look great on the knife you made, Nathan. I hope the lucky serviceman or woman that gets it can bring it back home safely.

Thanks, Denton. The Marine who I gave the knife to is named Chris. I've known him for several years, and he's been there and back as far as the sandbox goes. He just got married recently, and he's since gone on to OCS; soon after, he's slated to go to flight school.

--nathan

Back