Handle removel

oldknife

I have had a mishap, has anyone found a way to remove a framed handle that has been put on with Devcon 30 min. 2 ton epoxies it has mammoth scales would like to save them, soaked in lacquer thinner for 12 hr. no luck, did one for a friend heated the blade until it came lose, that may be my only out.

My first step,wiuod have been put them in the oven..Not sure soaking them was a very good thing.
but I really domt know.Someone will come along with More answers,than I have.

God bless,Keith

The msds says it's impervious to laquer thinner and mineral spirits....
But not to Zyline. Problem is, you might be waiting a while for the epoxy to dissolve. It's only rated to 200F so try (I'm serious) holding the knife upright in a cast iron skillet on the stove and let the heat spread slowly through the metal of the framed handle. Heat isn't too good for the ivory so try pulling the handle off often. This is assuming ALL THE PINS ARE OUT, if not heat up a nail or rod and push the pins out.

This does work....I've done it....a couple times...unfortunately.

Good luck,
Rudy

devcon 2 ton will come loose when boiled in water. Not sure it's the best way to treat those mammoth scales though.

Acetone will dissolve most epoxies. It just takes a while. I am not sure if this will affect your ivory. ...Teddy

That's going to be a tough one. I've had to rehandle a few knives with Dymondwood laminate and G10 micarta and even as durable as those two are I ended up scrapping the scales and starting from scratch. You might lose .015 of an inch in thickness this way but it might be worth starting a cut into the epoxy joint with a fine jewelers or very small tooth bow saw at the very base of the handle and try to "work" them up and off from there using some heat and acetone in the joint, as mentioned with the pins removed first. Good luck.

Guys thanks for all your input on my problem I do appreciate it, what I did was heat the blade close to the bands with a heat gun long enough fore the heat to run up the tang then put it in the vice with leather pads, left room to get a bar and a leather pad in and used a 24" bar to pry it loose it still had a lot of hold, I think that this caused the least amount of damage. When and if I get this back in one piece will post a picture of it. Thanks again Deane

Back