Harold Corby

So you can image how riled up I get these days....when I answer the shop phone, and all I get is "Hi! How do you do XXXXX?" Without even an introduction or a "Can I ask you a question?"
Perhaps the interwebs have reduced us all to resources to mined rather than friends and mentors to be cherished....?

That being said...this place feels like the general store with a peanut barrel and chairs and a woodstove cracklin'.....

Appreciate all the exchanges and humor and insight!

Before the internet, I could understand guarding certain information since the same 50 guys were attending the same knife shows and in direct competition with one another. However the internet has made the world a very big place when it comes to potential customers. My entire knifemaking presence is online. In fact, It’s been 100% Facebook driven. As a part timer I have more business than I want if I’m not cautious. I believe that few of us have any problem with competition if you have any online presence whatsoever. To that point, the more we share information and tips the more it elevates all of our craft as a whole.

Great follow up on your end Boss to get that conversation started. Awesome exchange as well.
Just think of the long road of knife making from past to present. A forum such as this with the members sharing information and knowledge.

I remember meeting Harold YEARS ago, when I was still a "pup" chasing down advice of experienced makers.

Those who are newer have no idea how it was back then! I refer to it as "The Dark Years"..... when EVERYTHING was a "secret". Imagine asking another knifemaker "What steel do you use?" Now you'd get a billion answers.....back then all you'd get is the evil eye and the person would turn and walk away from you.

It took me at least a dozen phone calls, and 3 in person visits (including a 2 hour drive each way) before I ever got to see the inside of a full time knifemaker's shop. And another 4 visits before the individual would answer even a single question. So you can image how riled up I get these days....when I answer the shop phone, and all I get is "Hi! How do you do XXXXX?" Without even an introduction or a "Can I ask you a question?" Knowledge was hard earned back then.... something that is taken for granted by many these days in the knife world.
Ed, all of the regulars here know that YOU ARE THE MAN, that being said, How do you do...hehe, just kidding :) You are a generous guy Ed, often we do not even have to ask, you are there with advice and encouragement. I learn from your're posting almost everyday.

Everyone knows about Corby bolts. If you don't, you should.

Beth told me someone named Harald Corby called in and placed an order. He said he invented Corby bolts.
I told her if he calls again, I wanted to talk to him.
He called back a few days later and I had a great conversation with him. I told Beth to send him an assortment of the Corby bolts we carry.

A few weeks later I received a handwritten letter from Harold along with a couple knife catalogs. What a class act.

I just got off another call with Harold. I started asking questions and he started telling me stories about the very start of today's custom knife making culture starting with the first Guild show and getting into an argument and then becoming good friends with Ron Lovelass. He told me back then there may have been 10 full time custom makers. I believe him. Harold is 86 years old and has been making knives for over 50 years.
We are all fortunate that others ahead of us paved the way for custom knife makers.

View attachment 77262

He also sent one of his catalogs.
View attachment 77263View attachment 77264View attachment 77265
I've been to his house a couple times (I only live about a 30 minute drive away), got him to make me a knife and got the catalogs too. Harold is a wealth of knowledge and I really enjoyed my visit's with him.
Here's a pic of the boot knife he made for me....

Attachments

• IMG_0068.jpg
    IMG_0068.jpg
    716.4 KB · Views: 20
We look back and may think that the old secrecy stories we heard are kind of non-violent versions of the old tale about the Japanese swordsmith who cut off the hand of his apprentice for putting said hand in the quench tank to check the temperature of the water. :eek: When I think about the early guys who finally decided to tell all and dare others to do the same or better, Bill Moran is the first guy who comes to mind.

Harry (Corby) is a great person. I grew up sweeping and cleaning his shop, then cutting out blades and doing other things for him. If you ever get the opportunity to meet him, he is a fountain of information and knowledge on knife making.

Back