Head Spinner

Tom Militano

KNIFE MAKER
I've been making knives for 30 years or so and have never had a head spinner until I had one that I ordered show up yesterday. How are you using these things, by hand, drill press, etc? I've never used one or seen one used, but bought it mainly because I wanted to try one. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Besides, if other makers found out I didn't have one they'd talk about me. Thanks in advance.

Tom

Hi Tom. I tried to order that set but didn't even get a respons. Sort of insulting, but -- why?
You run those in a drill press. With a little practice they do a great job. I wanted a good set in case I started to make slip joints. Frank

Hey Tom, let us know how it works out, I've been debating on getting one of those but I'm not fully convinced I need one...

There was an article in Blade mag. years back (maybe 1997 or thereabouts) that talked about them.... might be able to dig it up.

I second that! Let us know how they work out for you Tom. Like you, I've been at this a long time, and have had several different "head spinners", but I've never gotten any of them to work to my satisfaction.......I'm sure there's something I must be missing, but darned if I know what it is.

Hi Guys,
I have a head spinner I bought from jantz supply years ago, I do not use it much but I believe the sole purpose of those things are to spin domed heads on pins only. I do not think they are meant to peen the pin. For me it is just as easy to throw the pin in my pin vice, spin it on a fine lose belt and go to the buffer to shine it up. Now if you want something to peen in a domed shaped pin, the late Bob Engnath developed a simple system that does just that. I believe there is an article out there somewhere that shows how to build it. Hopefully this helps!
Clint

Well, guys, the spirit is willing but this mind is weak. I believe George said it. I too think I saw it in the Blade several years back. I remember, I think, that the article was on getting the domed pins on folders. I have often wondered since why I didn't see them being used. It seemed that for me it would be an easier way to install pins rather than the hammering way. Could be it was a way to do it but a difficult way? Well, I'm not going to the slip joints or lock backs yet. Frank

Back