Heat treating 10 series steels with a torch...

nine9jack9

Got a request to make a golok for a neighbor who knows enough about heat treating to be dangerous. Taking the job on because I want the experience and he's compensating me for time and materials. The oven I use is simply to short to heat treat the blade length he wants, 14". I am not forging and its going to be stock removal. I would be using either 1075-1080, heating to non-magnetic and then quenching in oil. What kind of results can I expect? Would I need to coat the blade with ATP? Would it be advisable to draw the spine to spring temper for a chopper? As always, would appreciate your perspectives and comments.

Personally I do a great deal of "torch" heat treating. I come at from a bit different angle then some, as I tend to do a lot of differential heat treating. I achieve this by using a "limiter plate" in my quench tank. Its a simple piece of 1/4" aluminum plate, chocked full of 3/8" holes, with each corner having a 1/4-20 threaded hole that has 4" carriage bolt in it. This allows me to "set" the depth of the plates surface below the surface of the quench oil (generally 1/3-3/4 of the blades width that I'm quenching...depending on the given blade and it's intended use). I far prefer this method of being able to control just how much of the blade hardenes versus doing a "soft back draw" simply because for me its a much easier and surer method to achieve my goal(s). Also, having tested a large number of JS applicants over the years, I can tell you that roughly 80% who chose to use the "soft back draw" method (fully harden the blade, then TRY to draw back the spine) failed their performance test(s).

It might be the fact that I've had many years of practice with the torch heat treating method, but I personally feel that I have far more control over the heat when using a torch versus using the forge. With a little practice, you can almost "paint" the heat on a blade. And I far prefer either of those methods to a heat treat oven for carbon/plain steels.

Your going to want to go slightly above non-magnetic. Generally austinizing temp occurs approx. 150-200F above non-magnetic on most carbon/plain steels. Keep in mind that in order for carbon/plain steels to harden, you want to at the steels austinizing temp WHEN IT HITS THE QUENCH, meaning that you need to be SLIGHTLY above when the blade is removed from the heat (the blade is going to loose heat between the time you remove the heat, and it hits the quench). As quenched hardness for the steels you mentioned should be in the low 60s. Personally, for a "chopper" and for the geometry/grinds I use, 56-58 Rc is the "sweet spot" for the steels you mentioned.

Last edited:
Personally I do a great deal of "torch" heat treating. I come at from a bit different angle then some, as I tend to do a lot of differential heat treating. I achieve this by using a "imiter plate" in my quench tank. Its a simple piece of 1/4" aluminum plate, chocked full of 3/8" holes, with each corner having a 1/4-20 threaded hole that has 4" carriage bolt in it. This allows me to "set" the depth of the plates surface below the surface of the quench oil (generally 1/3-3/4 of the blades width that I'm quenching...depending on the given blade and it's intended use). I far prefer this method of being able to control just how much of the blade hardenes versus doing a "soft back draw" simply because for me its a much easier and surer method to achieve my goal(s). Also, having tested a large number of JS applicants over the years, I can tell you that roughly 80% who chose to use the "soft back draw" method (fully harden the blade, then TRY to draw back the spine) failed their performance test(s).

It might be the fact that I've had many years of practice with the torch heat treating method, but I personally feel that I have far more control over the heat when using a torch versus using the forge. With a little practice, you can almost "paint" the heat on a blade. And I far prefer either of those methods to a heat treat oven for carbon/plain steels.

Your going to want to go slightly above non-magnetic. Generally austinizing temp occurs approx. 150-200F above non-magnetic on most carbon/plain steels. Keep in mind that in order for carbon/plain steels to harden, you want to at the steels austinizing temp WHEN IT HITS THE QUENCH, meaning that you need to be SLIGHTLY above when the blade is removed from the heat (the blade is going to loose heat between the time you remove the heat, and it hits the quench). As quenched hardness for the steels you mentioned should be in the low 60s. Personally, for a "chopper" and for the geometry/grinds I use, 56-58 Rc is the "sweet spot" for the steels you mentioned.
Ed that was a nice chunk of knowledge you just threw down, thanks for sharing!
I would like to see a video of that HT method....bust out the gopro?

Funny you should say that. Ed made a video on knife making and it happens to show the heat treating with an acetylene torch- a propane or MAPP torch will not do the trick for you. I think that I got my copy from Amazon but I could be wrong. I highly recommend it.

Doug

So Ed, for a chopper type blade, you are shooting for an as quenched hardness of 56/58 Rc, or is that what you would temper to?

Justin: Actually while I was typing that reply, I was thinking about how I could make a short video that expounds on whats in my Basic Bladesmithing Video. :)

LRB: 56-58Rc is wht I shoot for when tempering. As quenched, blades of 1080-1084 routinely come out in the low 60s.

Justin: Actually while I was typing that reply, I was thinking about how I could make a short video that expounds on whats in my Basic Bladesmithing Video. :)

I think an instructional video of differential heat treating techniques would be a winner. I'd probably even buy it if it went through a variety of options for different effects.
Maybe you and Kevin could collaborate on it........just sayin'.

If you can find a copy, Jim Crowell has a Bowie video that shows everything from start to finish. He used torch differential heat treat too, pretty good video, but it was kind of pricey when I bought it.

Back