Hello from New York! First-ever knife completed yesterday.

Goot

Hi everyone!

I just got into the hobby last month and I'm really enjoying it. I recently completed my first knife ever, and I have a few more on the way to really get my technique down. I'm learning so much from online sources, especially J. Keeton from Red Beard Ops on Youtube. I know he's a member on this forum and if possible I'd like to pass on my thanks to him personally...I've re-watched so many of his videos that I really owe him a debt of gratitude for giving me the confidence and knowledge to begin. Can someone somehow notify him for me? I'm not familiar with this forum yet.

It all started when I was using an old ikea steak knife that I've had with me since my single Army days in Germany, and it broke in half with the half-hidden tang almost cutting into my fingers. While I was eating, I was watching Forged in Fire on Netflix, and I was like..."I want to make some quality steak knives!" So I looked up how to make stainless steel knives and immediately re-centered myself saying, "Hmm, how about a high-carbon chef knife?" Then I looked up more videos and realized I have no idea what I'm doing, and I had better start small. Enter Walter Sorrells, Outdoors55, JKeeton, Mark Royer, Gough Custom, and so on. They're all my bros at this point. I certainly don't know anyone in my area with any desire to make knives, so all my knowledge is Youtube-based.

My wife thought I was crazy, but then she saw how much I was into it, and bought me a heat-treating how-to book for Christmas.

Here's my album. I KNOW the final result is not perfect, however I'm very proud of it and I learned so much with this little knife -- I can't wait to do more. Next up, a real grinder. Drill press is already in the mail!

Hope you all had a good New Years,

Goot

Last edited:
Excellent work for a first knife! If you don't mind a little unsolicited advise. Take a little more time on the blade finish for your next one. Seems you have some stray scratches. It can take some practice to get an even finish and to make yourself slow down. I used to get in a hurry to finish a knife to see what it would look like. You definitely have the talent to be an outstanding knife maker and your first knife is far above many "first" knives that I've seen. Welcome to Knife Dogs!!

Excellent work for a first knife! If you don't mind a little unsolicited advise. Take a little more time on the blade finish for your next one. Seems you have some stray scratches. It can take some practice to get an even finish and to make yourself slow down. I used to get in a hurry to finish a knife to see what it would look like. You definitely have the talent to be an outstanding knife maker and your first knife is far above many "first" knives that I've seen. Welcome to Knife Dogs!!
Thank you! I will. I was in a hurry, just as you said.

that's solid work! Like others have said I wish my first build looked that good. Nice job with the tutorial / pictures too.

-andy

After looking through this forum more and more, I've been very impressed with how helpful and cordial members are to one another. I'm glad to have found you all. Thanks for the kind words and I look forward to interacting with you when I inevitably have questions!

After looking through this forum more and more, I've been very impressed with how helpful and cordial members are to one another. I'm glad to have found you all. Thanks for the kind words and I look forward to interacting with you when I inevitably have questions!
Yes-this site sets a great high bar for members encouraging each other, treating each other with respect and just general “fellowship”. It’s really refreshing compared to a lot of sites centered around a particular hobby or activity. My other big pastime is Flyfishing and the site I visit for that often devolves into bickering and arguing. I very rarely see that here.

andy

Hey Goot - welcome to KDs! This group of guys & gals are the best and some of the most helpful! Great job on your first knife, like Randy said - SLOW is the key. I am learning that daily as I am only a knife or two ahead of you.

Pull up a seat, sit a spell - the education available here is worth a million $$$$

Hey Goot - welcome to KDs! This group of guys & gals are the best and some of the most helpful! Great job on your first knife, like Randy said - SLOW is the key. I am learning that daily as I am only a knife or two ahead of you.

Pull up a seat, sit a spell - the education available here is worth a million $$$$
Thank you, Greg. I'm happy to be a part of it now.

Thank you, Greg. I'm happy to be a part of it now.
Nice work, man. Especially liked your presentations of the build. Takes a while to "tool up" for this kind of work so just MASTER what you’ve got on hand now and you’ll do good. BTW, how many fingers wrap the handle of that cool build you showed? I like/make little Skinners like yours but stretch the handle to accommodate my big hands, wrapping all 4 fingers on the handle. Very nice!

Nice work, man. Especially liked your presentations of the build. Takes a while to "tool up" for this kind of work so just MASTER what you’ve got on hand now and you’ll do good. BTW, how many fingers wrap the handle of that cool build you showed? I like/make little Skinners like yours but stretch the handle to accommodate my big hands, wrapping all 4 fingers on the handle. Very nice!
Thank you! The handle is just long enough to fit comfortably in my fist with all four fingers. My hands are a bit thin but not by much. Definitely not bear paws. You can almost tell by the last two pictures.

Thank you! The handle is just long enough to fit comfortably in my fist with all four fingers. My hands are a bit thin but not by much. Definitely not bear paws. You can almost tell by the last two pictures.
Kinda like yours but for my big old carpenter hand. Handle is spalted, deep dyed bay laurel burl. fix6-2.jpg

Back