Hello from Saskatoon Saskatchewan

metal99

Hey everybody, just joined this forum today and wanted to take the time to introduce myself.

My name is Julius, I have been into knives since I was little. I started making knives about a year ago and have two finished so far and six more on the go. I've recently setup an outdoor blacksmith shop at my parents house and I am starting to learn how to forge blades. I like the stock removal method but my main dream is to forge all of my blades.

Here are a few pictures of te two knives I have finished.
This is my first knife forged from spring steel.
Ebony, rosewood and antler handle with hand made brass guard and pomel.
CIMG5535.jpg

CIMG5547.jpg

CIMG5532.jpg

This is my second knife.
Stock removal 1095, WSSI stabilized kingwood scales and my hand made mosaic pins. First try at firework and first sheath.
8c60ec82.jpg

0f884194.jpg

b337b922.jpg

ffae93e3.jpg

2da81edc.jpg

0d254f71.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Last edited:
Welcome to the pack!

I also agree that those are very good knives,especially for your first two.

The second Sharp Finger Hunter type pattern reminds me of my Hunters I use to make a lot of..

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Laurence, that knife was made for a "sharp finger" KITH. We had to reinvent the sharpfinger. I actually just mailed it out yesterday.

Wow, those are great looking knives. I just started my first two and hope they come out atleast halfway as good as yours. Excellent work man!

Thanks Steven, where are you from? Just take your time and pay close attention to every step. My first knife was all a huge mistake and I don't believe anybody should do what I did for a first knife. It was very frustrating simply because it was an advanced knife compared to a simple stock removal scaled knife. The handle was what was so hard on that first knife.

I am from Houston, TX. Thanks for the advice. I rushed a little on the first one and made some deep indentions from the belt sander. The second one I am taking my time on and thinking more before acting.

You did a great job on your first knife and I am sure that making such a detailed design the first time improved your skills more than doing a simple design.

Cool man probably almost need an air conditioned shop in that heat hey? It gets pretty hot here in the summer but it only really lasts for about a month.

I did learn a lot from making that knife and almost have up knife making from the frustration. I made that one without any knowledge of knife making and just kinda made it up as I went. I forged that blade so it didn't need a lot of sanding or anything to get it finished but the the second knife I made I filed most of the bevel in. After about 8 hours of fueling I decided to finish it on my belt sander. I was kinda scared to use the belt sander at first but after a little practice it wasn't so bad. I did ruin a few blades on it tho lol. I usually just rough out the bevels with the sander then finish it off with files. Do you have a file guide?

Yea the shop (shed) is too hot to work in so I work on my projects on the back porch. It can get unbearable!

It's a good thing you didn't give up because you have talent. I filed the bevel and decided to put it on my Craftsman belt sander to clean it up a bit and ended up dinging up the blade from the crappy belt sander I have (it kind of has a little bump in it where the belts connect to form the loop). So now I have to do a little more hand sanding to get out the ugly. I do not have a file guide, all eyeball and touch, but feel I might have had beginners luck on my first one. We will see when I start to file the second one tomorrow.

I know what you mean about the bump in the belts. I have some that are smooth and some that are so bad I can't use them for the bevels. Most of the hand work I do is at home right in my kitchen table (I live in an appartment) I have the belt sander, drill press and forge at my dads place. I have four on the go right now in various stages and two more that I have to start.

What style of knives are you making?

Back