Help, I did it again

Wayne Bensinger

Good Morning fellow Knifemakers,
I have another question about HT, another mistake by myself that I need info on. Last night I was HTing a piece of 440c, I had it in the oven at 1900'. It was supposed to be in for 30 minutes but then that's when it happened, the wife called me for spaghetti supper, how could I refuse? Anyway, then the Flyers game came on, so I started into that. Next thing I know the blade is in the oven for 1-3/4 hrs, oops! Any ideas of what if anything this would do to the blade. I had it in a foil bag and it looked the same as the other blades I've done in the past but I'm not to sure I didn't destroy the steel, thanks guys.

Wayne

Gonna have to disagree with Darrin on this one.
As long as your foil pouch had no leaks and you did'nt get any major decarb on the blade I don't think there should be any problems, with controlled temps you should have not gotten any grain growth and controlled atmosphere it should be fine.
Larger pieces sometimes need to be soaked for long periods and doesn't hurt the steel.
I wouldn't make a habit of it though.

Gonna have to disagree with Darrin on this one.
As long as your foil pouch had no leaks and you did'nt get any major decarb on the blade I don't think there should be any problems, with controlled temps you should have not gotten any grain growth and controlled atmosphere it should be fine.
Larger pieces sometimes need to be soaked for long periods and doesn't hurt the steel.
I wouldn't make a habit of it though.

I agree,
take it out of the packet and check for burnt spots.

Back