Help me spend my knife money!

Travis Fry

Here's the deal: I've got $900-1000 that I've made from selling knives recently, and I have essentially 3 options for how to spend it. I thought I'd give my colleagues a chance to chime in on what they think is the best way to use it:

1) I can keep saving and get one of Wayne Coe's Moes grinders after I sell about 5 more knives. I currently use a Craftsman 2x42, and if you don't believe good things can be done with it, look here and here for proof otherwise. A 2x72 with variable speed would be a great improvement in any case, and I'll eventually get one anyway.

2) I can get a mini mill from HF, a belt drive conversion kit, and a few end mills and tools for relieving slipjoint liners and milling slots on guards for fixed blades. I might have enough left to build myself a rise and fall indicator if I can find one of those 20% off coupons.

3) I could spend it on minor tools and supplies like better leather for my sheaths, a rise and fall indicator, some set up to cut nail nicks, sandpaper, etc, etc, ad infinitum.

4) I could get a surface grinder (also with a little more saving).

What think ye, O Great Peanut Gallery?

Spend a couple hundred on fun minor tools and put the rest towards a new grinder. That way you get to smile now and later.

Don't waste your money on the HF mini mill/drill machine. It is not heavy enough or rigid enough to slot guards or recess liners. You can do little work on an big machine, you can't do big work on a little machine.

Upgrade your grinder, it will eventually pay for itself.

Good thoughts. I'm trying to move toward slipjoints from fixed blades, and to do more guards and stick tangs. That leans me toward a mill. I really want variable speed and 2x72, and I think I might see the most improvement in my knives if I got the grinder. That leans me toward a grinder. I guess it's a choice between broadening my skills or deepening them.

Travis,

It has been my experience that you should by the best tool that you can the first time you buy. If you buy an inferior mill, it won't be long before you are trying to figure out how to upgrade and your original money will be almost wasted on your first purchase because you'll never get your money out of it.

Go with the good tools first, they will always be cheaper than multiple purchases.

Besides, Wayne needs the money to buy dog food for his buddy.

Carey

Check out the pm25 series of mills or the newer grizzly square column models.

I would actually vote against the mill given your current lineup of tools. A mill is a black hole of costs...vise, cutting tools, measurement and setup tools...it goes on forever.

Buy yourself a nice grinder, your work will get even better and will go much faster. More cash for more toys!!

Chuck, that mill would be perfect, but for the fact that it's 3 phase and 220v. If it were single phase and 110 I'd call the guy right now. As it is, it looks like the grinder has it.

I'd definitely go with the grinder as well. A mill you might use for only a small portion of a handful of knives. A grinder will be used for a larger portion of every knife...

As soon as I sell a few more knives, I think I'm going to invest in a VFD for my NWGS, then eventually save up enough for a KMG...

Moe says that he appreciates your concern. He would like to say, "Wayne does without himself if I don't have enough food but you can see by our pictures that we haven't been missing to many meals."

Support the benefit for Moe!

Looks like the general consensus is an upgraded grinder.
I definitely agree.

You're starting with the motor of your choice, probably more powerful than what you're currently using. More powerful motor= more flexibility.
Greater belt selection (excepting custom orders, of course).
Due to increased length, the belts last longer.
Speed selection is easily accommodated, too. A VFD is the ultimate, but if that's not your cup of tea, then these designs accept step pulleys very easily.

I built the NWGS. I truly appreciate the design.
A feature I really like is that the tool socket allows longer tool arms, which allows considerable flexibility in belt length. For example, I also have an oscillating edge sander which uses 6" x 108" belts. Using a belt splitter (similar to the one BossDog offers, only larger), I can split those belts and use on the NWGS.
Doing this makes sense in many ways. Perhaps I come across a good deal on different-length belts. Or perhaps I want a "longer-wearing" belt. Or maybe I'm out of the 72" belts. For whatever reason, this type of flexibility is simply more icing on the cake.

Went to your website and looked at your work, and it's great.
I am constantly reminded of the fact that excellent work is accomplished with limited resources, a true testament to the abilities of the individual.
So it's not so much that your 2x42 is a "bad" thing, but rather that you may be to the point of upgrading for a better return on your investment. After all, our tools are nothing more than an investment, and when facing these types of decisions (what to acquire next), one needs to consider which item provides the quickest and/or greatest return on that investment.
With the exception of our brains and hands:3:, I can think of no more better investment than a well-built belt grinder for knifemaking.

A mill would certainly be nice, but post #11 by Blackcatt certainly holds true.

Besides, Moe needs the food! (They don't call 'em "puppy dog eyes" for nothing!)

Good luck in whatever you decide.

Rob

I would say to buy the one that you need more.

On a side note, I am finding good used surface grinders for anywhere from $200 to $500 for a decent one.

I have been using a harbor freight mill to recess linners for a few years now and would like a better mill but what I have has been serving the purpose. I also have been using a grizzly grinder and it has served the purpose. My next magor purchase is going to be a Wayne Coe grinder but the mill had to come first for me. If you only buy the best tools, a poor man will never get started. It sucks, but I just have to upgrade as I go.
When I do upgrade to a better mill, my old one will still be a really nice bench top drill press.
Gene

Last edited:
Go to the local retirement home and buy everyone edible underwear. They'll leave you enough money to buy one of everything!

Back