help ! soldering 416 stainless guard to 154cm

GLL

I been working on a blade and normally I do not use stainless for guards because I can not get it to flow and fill, I have no problem soldering nickle silver, using staybrite silver solder and staybrite flux, have a jewelers torch with oxy/acet, squeaky clean rinse with actone, polished and a tight fit, any one know the trick ? tried several fluxs with no luck.

I've read everything I can find and done all the different procedures with no success.

A few points I think may be my problem:

Width of gap
Heat of guard and blade must be same temp

I've used an oxy-propane torch and a heat gun with no success

What kind of torch are you using? Sounds like you are not getting enough heat. Teddy

Stainless to stainless can be a problem the moon and stars must be in the right position, staybrite is the right solder, you need a little gap for the solder to go into,also wash it with hot water and detergent, don't put your hand on it, if you get it to hot and it turns black it is all over, I went to a large soldering iron, put a slot in the tip so the blade would go threw and the guard sat on it, it is clean and won't get to hot, also had a copper rod with a point to sometimes drag the solder with, still have the iron will sell it for half of new, I don't use it any more, send me an E-mail and will send you a picture of it. Deane

I was having the same problem. Bruce Bump replied to my post and suggested I "tin" the parts first. Then lightly clamp together and heat. It worked like a charm for me. I also use a Smith oxy/acetylene jewelers torch. They are really handy little torches.

I was having the same problem. Bruce Bump replied to my post and suggested I "tin" the parts first. Then lightly clamp together and heat. It worked like a charm for me. I also use a Smith oxy/acetylene jewelers torch. They are really handy little torches.

I have done the tin trick on bolsters and it works, just can't get a slotted guard to stick
thanks everyone for the advice !

Don't feel bad, I can't either most of the time. Thats why most everybody uses JB Weld on one piece guards. Even the great Bob Loveless finally went to JB Weld. Even if you are lucky enough to seal up the guard with solder it may fester up inside and rust out someday from the trapped flux. There few things more caustic than staybrite flux.
I have done the tin trick on bolsters and it works, just can't get a slotted guard to stick
thanks everyone for the advice !

Don't feel bad, I can't either most of the time. Thats why most everybody uses JB Weld on one piece guards. Even the great Bob Loveless finally went to JB Weld. Even if you are lucky enough to seal up the guard with solder it may fester up inside and rust out someday from the trapped flux. There few things more caustic than staybrite flux.

Thanks, That makes me feel a little better !

I have a thought but I will say first that I have never soldered a guard. I've been a member of the 'press fit' school since day one. I don't know much about soldering.

But I know a little about surface prep and cleaning and you mentioned acetone. Acetone is a great solvent and cleaner but in my experiences, it leaves behind a film of it's own that must be taken off with denatured alcohol or maybe as suggested, hot water and dishsoap. Acetone film can cause problems in other operations such as etching a blade so maybe it can cause some with soldering too.

Just a thought.

John, good advice. I've had the same experience with acetone. It works great for taking finger nail polish off. :)
I have a thought but I will say first that I have never soldered a guard. I've been a member of the 'press fit' school since day one. I don't know much about soldering.

But I know a little about surface prep and cleaning and you mentioned acetone. Acetone is a great solvent and cleaner but in my experiences, it leaves behind a film of it's own that must be taken off with denatured alcohol or maybe as suggested, hot water and dishsoap. Acetone film can cause problems in other operations such as etching a blade so maybe it can cause some with soldering too.

Just a thought.

Back