Help With Pinned Bolster

Diamond G Knives

Was going to try the tapered holes on my next bolster, Havnt done this in years so I wanted input if any had it.

Using 1/8 pins of 416 stainless. Do I need to drill a 1/8 hole then ream with a tapered reamer, or use a #30 bit (1.285) then taper?

Anyone here use super glue or any other sealer under their bolsters? Ive heard of folks using JB weld, but Im afraid of a black line showing with 416. just wondering if the fit is tight enough if any sealer is needed? (This will be on a kitchen knife)

Any thoughts or input are apreciated!

Thanks and God Bless
Mike

I use the # 30 then taper. Best to wipe the sides of the pin down with acetone to help clean it so no circles show up. Pin press to spread then I give it another hit with a hammer to spread the top of the pin totally.

Im guessing with the #30 hole there isnt much wobble with the pin, so you can go straight to the press? Id think you would have to peen a bit then press. Also what size reamer are you using?

Thanks and God Bless
Mike

Last edited:
The only time that I put bolsters on a knife I used an epoxy to hold them in place while I drilled the holes inserted the pins. I also roughed up the pins with some sand paper.

Doug

Well it's been years since I did the bolsters with pins. I did not use a tappered hole. I drilled the hole for the size of the pin. I cut the pin to a length of the thickness plus 2 diameters of the pin stock being used. (just close, no real closeness needed) The pieces were the clamped together. I hammered one pin one side three or four times and then the other. and then the other. I used the FLAT side of a ball peen to do this. I continued changing sides untill I had what I thought was a tight fit. Make sure all parts are flat. Peening won't overcome bad preparation. This gave me "invisible" pins as long as I used pin material that matched the bolsters. Frank

I use a 2 degree taped ream and the flat side of a small hammer. The trick is knowing how much pin to leave proud. If its too tall it will bend easy, if its too short it doesnt have enough material to fill the hole. practice practice practice.

I use the 30 but hold the bolsters in place with needle nosed vice grips so they can't move. Taper is 3/32 from K&G. I leave a 3/32 pin 1/8 inch proud on each side and the dies on pin press are slightly cupped so they spread and are polished inside.

Thanks for the input guys!

Mike: Do you use any type sealer under your bolsters?

Also thought about spot welding. Anyone doing this? Can you spot weld 416 to carbon steel?? If so what thickness material can this application be used on?

Thanks and God Bless
Mike

Back