Help with Taps and tapping!

You dont really need a tapmatic for this but like you I am always looking for an excuse to buy tools :)

And I was told that machine wouldn't work with 0 X 80 screws. Thanks for that, Calvin. I may have to start looking again. Frank

And I was told that machine wouldn't work with 0 X 80 screws. Thanks for that, Calvin. I may have to start looking again. Frank

Frank,
The one I bought only goes up to 1/4" and down to 0-80. It's as fast as greased lighting! You know what a job it is tapping titanium with that small a tap . Seriously,I can tap six holes in less than 30 seconds.

there seems to be quite a range of prices & models with the Tapamatics.
I think 3/16th is about the largest I would use on a folder. what models does everyone have and would buy it again?

Now I need to go to the hardware store again on Monday because the salesman put the wrong size drill bit in my bag. I asked for a #43 bit for drilling my scrap piece of steel to tap so I can shorten my 2-56 pivot screws. The bit he gave me is way to big, .0930 I should have know when he had a blank look on his face when I told him that the fractional equivlent is .0890 Well it's a good thing I like going to the hardward store.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Size, the 30 does small holes.

If you look for a used one make sure you get 2 collets, they run $50.00 or so individually and the shanks can be different too. I have 1/2" straight shank for drill press.

Here's an info page

http://tapmatic.com/products-page

Last edited:
Lawrence,
I made many folders before I bought a Tapmatic, and only bought one for tapping the 0-80 holes in titanium because its hard to do by hand and I broke too many taps. If the smallest tap you are going to use is 2-56 and you are not tapping titanium you can easily get by with just a hand tapping jig.

Lawrence,
I made many folders before I bought a Tapmatic, and only bought one for tapping the 0-80 holes in titanium because its hard to do by hand and I broke too many taps. If the smallest tap you are going to use is 2-56 and you are not tapping titanium you can easily get by with just a hand tapping jig.

Calvin,
Thanks, I figured that. Like a lot of you, I am just always looking for a reason to buy more cool tools! :biggrin:
Its hand tapping for now, I have to wait till Monday to get the correct size drill bits. I will live, but just barely!

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

hi,
hand tapping should work fine until you are ready to buy a precision mill. several suggestions. get good quality tapping oil, Rapid Tap works good for us. use a countersink after you have drilled your thru hole and drill down about a millimeter or so. helps the tap start easier and keeps it straight. Take your time, if tap is hard to turn, stop, back it up then go again. if your new drill press can go real slow, you might want to look at a combined drill/tap. MSC has a 6-32 Greenlee drill/tap combo for $10(04030391). see how it does.
scott

Some tap handles have a center hole in the top in place of the little shaft that fixes in the drill chuck. You can take a center and chuck it up or something pointed and usually do it that way.

Be sure you buy good drills and god taps. china made stuff is usally not that great and is really brittle. The best taps I have used come from Japan, YMW brand. I've also used some Kenametal brand that were made in Japan as well that were great. I've tapped a bunch of holes, but by far, the hardest thing I have ever done is Ti. That stuff is a royal pain it the arse. I'm sure a tapping jig might make it easier, but I've never used one.

Be sure to use some cutting oil or something. Anything is better than nothing. I would not use oil in G10 or CF or anything like that, but definitely use it on metals. Twist in a rotation or rotation and a half, and back the tap up about a rotation or so to "break the chips". Then continue back down to where you had stopped cutting and repeat. I do this when hand tapping, but not when tapping in the machine under power. I always do small taps by hand. Anything under #10 or so. I may start them in a machine, but finish them out by hand.

Straight flute taps - commonly called gun taps - usually have a point and are for through drilled holes. The ones with a flat on the bottom are ususally spiral fluted, and for blind holes. The chips ride the flutes out of the hole, just like a drill when drilling.

Well once a got a #50 drill bit to tap my 2-56 screws things went a little smoother.
I now have my prototype all put together except for the pocket clip, Those arrived today. So tomorrow will be another chapter in the evolution of my Rhino folder!

By the way, I ground off the T handle of my hand Tap wench and it fits in my drill press chuck just fine.

Thanks everyone for all the help and suggestions.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

You probably don't need to hear it... but I'll add my voice to the chorus singing the virtues of the Tapmatic 30x. I've only ever tapped 2-56, but with a bit of Moly-Dee and some good thread-forming taps (recommended by some knifemakers smarter than me), tapping titanium is a breeze. With the thread-formers, I use a 5/64" hole.
I also got my Tapmatic from e-Bay. Slick device. :thumbup:
Erin

You probably don't need to hear it... but I'll add my voice to the chorus singing the virtues of the Tapmatic 30x. I've only ever tapped 2-56, but with a bit of Moly-Dee and some good thread-forming taps (recommended by some knifemakers smarter than me), tapping titanium is a breeze. With the thread-formers, I use a 5/64" hole.
I also got my Tapmatic from e-Bay. Slick device. :thumbup:
Erin

Thanks, but I hear the virtues of holding off buying a tapamatic until I sell enough folders to pay for it!:biggrin:

It might be a while before i work with any Titanium ether. I not knowing any better, tried to grind a knife out of some a few years ago and gave myself such a migraine headache from the bright sparks. That I shudder just thinking about working with Ti again.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Laurence,
you were mentioning wanting to tap carbon fibre and other materials. an idea would be to drill your mounting hole 1/8" larger than you need for tap. fill the hole with JB weld and let it dry overnite. now you can drill and tap the weld. have had to do it here at the office on occasion and it worked well.
scott

Back