Hey Man, Got A Light?

Recently, I was in the right place at the right time and got a few free parking lot LED flood lights :D
these are 84 watts and put out 17,000 lumens.... 17 thousand !
If you look at these they'll burn a hole thru your skull !

I have one up now, wired to a remote control so you can turn it on from up to 400' away, it'll light up a whole football field, Ha ha. I looked them up on Amazon and they have a 5 year warranty, these are two years old so I lucked out on these. !

BDBk7MC.jpg
You win! :) Are you using that thing indoors?

Well I stand corrected...I looked it up on amazon,...https://www.amazon.com/ATLAS-LIGHTING-PFL126LED-Alpha-Replaces/dp/B01M0FFVK0/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=atlas+lighting+PFL126LED+126W+LED&qid=1578617050&s=hi&sr=1-1

it's only 7,929 lumens but it will still burn a hole thru your head if you look at it.
right now one's mounted about 25' up and shines over some property.
be prepared for sticker shock if you look this up, while their probably worth it, that's a lot of green for a light.
I certainly wouldn't have bought these things but I got them for free so...Yee-Ha !

Those led shop light from horrible freight are a good deal, but of three I have one blinks once in a while so I kind of question how long they last. but hey...$20.00 you can't hardly go wrong if your only getting 2-3.

I think these are the lights I'm getting for my new shop, I'm going to get four but I think I'll end up putting in six.

Last edited:
Since we're on the subject of lighting..... 2 years ago, I overhauled my finish shop lighting with: These Lights a total of 32 of them..... I separated them into two "banks".... one for normal, and then when I need extra/surface of the sun bright..... I turn on the second bank. The only issue I have with them. is that they screw up any and all AM/FM radio stations.....but I have Klove streaming via the shop computer anyway....so it's no big deal for me.

I'm also getting ready to upgrade the Hot Shop with either THESE or THESE I'm on the fence, because I'm worried how they will handle the heat in the hot shop..... I currently have high intensity/daylight florescents, that often go out in the area over the forges because they overheat....but they always pop back on when things cool down...... I'm worried these will either go out....and never come back.....or worse....melt. :) I need 16, 8 footers to replace the current 8 fixture/16 tubes lighting. I'd also considered just going with LED bulbs, but that means by passing or pulling all the ballasts in the existing fixtures..... at about the same cost as replacing the existing fixtures with those I listed.

If your shop(s) are not lighted with LED "daylight" bulbs/fixtures, you have no idea what your missing!! Compared the the typical "soft white" lights...... it's a world of difference. Even the extra track lighting that I have above my grinders now have LED "daylight" bulbs in them...... it's like having double the light versus the old soft white bulbs! What I've found, at least for me.... is to get a color temp of at least 5000K.

Last edited:
The thing I always detested about fluorescent lights was the flicker. Even a little bit of flicker would give me headaches. The LED's don't do that.

Yep. That and the horrendous, sickly color temperature and poor quality of light. You don’t notice it so much if you get sunlight every day, but when I was at sea for months at a time I often wouldn’t see the sun for weeks at a time. As soon as you go out in the sun, the brightness of daylight (even with an overcast sky) was painful and blinding.

And just like you said, the constant flicker that you don’t see would give me migraines after a few weeks.

oops.
upstairs part of the shop and I think I'll get some of those 8'units that Ed showed.

I picked up something similar for my shop a while back, and you're right, it does make a huge difference. I also swapped all of my T12 flourescent tubes for some 6500K LED conversions. It's nice to actually be able to see, and even nicer to not have to wait for them to warm up when it's cold outside.

Here's what I got for my 2 overhead screw in bulbs in my garage:

51EB2K%2Bs2ZL._SL1001_.jpg

amazon link

They're pretty cheap, and you can put whatever kind of bulbs you want in them. I put 60W LED (6500K daylight) bulbs in these as well, and it's some of the best money I've spent in the shop to date.

Ok, so I put 2 of these up in my shop (small shop) to replace a single fluorescent fixture and as I type this there are spots all over the screen. These things are super bright! There is no more "looking up" in my shop.

I picked up something similar for my shop a while back, and you're right, it does make a huge difference. I also swapped all of my T12 flourescent tubes for some 6500K LED conversions. It's nice to actually be able to see, and even nicer to not have to wait for them to warm up when it's cold outside.

Here's what I got for my 2 overhead screw in bulbs in my garage:

51EB2K%2Bs2ZL._SL1001_.jpg

amazon link

They're pretty cheap, and you can put whatever kind of bulbs you want in them. I put 60W LED (6500K daylight) bulbs in these as well, and it's some of the best money I've spent in the shop to date.
I also purchased these a while back. Replaced to single bulbs with these using LEDs incredible difference!

There are interests I have that come and go.... one of them was messing around with LEDs....both the individuals and the strips. If you keep your eyes open.... you can get the LED strips that are "daylight", for $5-6 for a 16ft roll. Of course these are usually 12V, and require a power source to run them....but those are cheap and easy to get. I've actually used these rolls to build my own lights that I have under shelves around the finish shop..... I just used a piece of corrugated steel (like delta rib). Cut it to size and then peeled/stuck the strip lights to it. The one though part is going round corners.... the "connectors" that are sold for the job rarely work, so I soldered individual wires to connect at the end of each strip. (single color LEDs only have a + and - connections.)

LEDs are fun to mess with/build, and I've had them under the shelves, providing bright light for several years now. As others have said.... you just can't beat LED lights..... anything from the bulbs, to the fixtures, to the strips are just head and shoulders above incandescent or florescent.

If you've not considered it yet, take a look at LEDs for you truck/vehicle headlights/fogs lights. Living in Montana, the winter months bring with it as little as 6-7 hours of daylight..... so there are a lot of after dark activities. Daylight LED lights in my vehicle are simply great for night driving. Just be careful, and look for good reviewed products....not just price. I outfitted my 2011 Ford F150 with LED headlight and Foglight bulbs for about $50..... and knowing what I do now about how good they are..... I'd pay double that. It's that much of a difference. ;)

A very cool LED indeed!

I work out of my garage, 20x20 with the typical single bulb on the garage door opener. Getting older everything seems to need more light and so a few years back I got fed up of stringing lights every which way so I wired up and installed about 15-16 of the 4 ft dual led strips. Expensive, but now almost anywhere I work in the garage there is almost no shadow.

Back