HF spindle sander?

Raymond,
I don't have that unit, but in the past I've bought the 3/4" sleeves and seen others at Sears, 80-120 grit I think? and other suppliers.

I use the 3/4" on a rubber mandrel on my foredom flex shaft hand drill for some handle scuplting etc.

I looked at it but, got Tracy's small wheel adapter with a 3/4" wheel for my 2x72 for less money. I had a spare tool arm to mount it to. I use the same grits & belts for my small wheel as I use when grinding. If I fine I need a larger wheel I can get it when the need arrives. So far it has well worth the money.

I have one and use it alot, but it is NOT a heavy duty grinder to remove large amounts of material. For that I use my small wheel attachment on the NWG.
Its great for shaping handle materials and will eat up anything that is not metal. I use it for final profiling and putting a nice parallel scratch line around the perimeter of a full tang knife.

You can get drums from MSC, Woodcraft has them in bags of 12 in most grits. Some are only 2" tall which work fine for thin stock.

my opinion,
Steve

I have one and use it alot, but it is NOT a heavy duty grinder to remove large amounts of material. For that I use my small wheel attachment on the NWG.
Its great for shaping handle materials and will eat up anything that is not metal. I use it for final profiling and putting a nice parallel scratch line around the perimeter of a full tang knife.

You can get drums from MSC, Woodcraft has them in bags of 12 in most grits. Some are only 2" tall which work fine for thin stock.

my opinion,
Steve

I've got a small wheel attachment for my belt grinder however my belt grinder has been down for at least 4 months or longer. I had lost interest in making about the same time and never fixed it. Been starting to get the urge to be making again. May see if I can get the grinder working before I buy another tool. Steve, I had often wondered about the HF spindle tool, thanks for the input. Also thanks for the other info!

No problem, Ray...
Please DO follow the urge to keep making, our industry needs your work and knowledge.
Plus we need the humor and laughs at the shows :biggrin:

No problem, Ray...
Please DO follow the urge to keep making, our industry needs your work and knowledge.
Plus we need the humor and laughs at the shows :biggrin:

Steve, Thanks for the encouragement! I hear Bruce isn't going to Little Rock this year. Will you be there? I think this will be my last time for me doing this show unless I catch a 30 pound stripped bass after the show. Actually the fishing is the real reason form me being in Arkansas.

I've been working on a "Klingon Fighting Stick".

I won't be back. I really just went to hang with Bruce. We live on opposite ends of the Galaxy and that was the only time we had to visit and maybe drink a one small beer.

His next venture will probably be BLADE.

Take it easy.
Steve

I won't be back. I really just went to hang with Bruce. We live on opposite ends of the Galaxy and that was the only time we had to visit and maybe drink a one small beer.

His next venture will probably be BLADE.

Take it easy.
Steve

The two of you could sure make that one small beer last a long time. I'll miss seeing you both there. Done the Blade Adventure 3 times, had enough plus the price seems to constantly go up. Small beers in Atlanta and 3 times as much as in Little Rock.......

I have an oscillating spindle sander and only use it on wood when I want true perpendicular such as the axe gun stocks. Son Mike uses it on steel but the cost of sanding drums goes sky high.

I hope it wasn't a mistake to drop Littlerock,as of now I don't have any shows for next year. We Knifedogs should invade a small show somewhere and have a small beer or two.

I have an oscillating spindle sander and only use it on wood when I want true perpendicular such as the axe gun stocks. Son Mike uses it on steel but the cost of sanding drums goes sky high.

I hope it wasn't a mistake to drop Littlerock,as of now I don't have any shows for next year. We Knifedogs should invade a small show somewhere and have a small beer or two.

Bruce, I finally dropped the Oregon Show last year. Got a call from Chuck saying some collector was really interested in my knives and I wasn't there. It was just a little bunch of BS. I've been using the Little Rock Show as an excuse to stop in Houston and visit my friend Eli and then to go fishing in Arkansas. We need to come up with away to have a small beer online.

These are the reason I was checking on the spindle sander. The ax affair is the Klingon Fighting Stick. Still lots of finishing to do on the wood.

IMG_8785.JPG

IMG_8782.JPG

I have and use one. Working within the limitations of my 2x42 it was the easiest and cheapest option. Even on .188 cpm 3v steel it works with 80 grit drums but it's slow and I'm waiting for the day I burn it up.

I've gotten the best deal on drums from supergrit.com

I have a shop fox model I bought on Amazon for about the same price. I use it on every knife. It is fantastic for inside curves and aligning the scratch pattern on a full tang knife. I will say that the knocks against it in this thread are accurate. It is not great on metal (but works) and you can really burn through drums pretty fast.

I am a new maker and find that I am not particularly good at sanding the spine lengthwise free hand. Also, I don't have a small wheel attachment so I really have not practiced this too much. So placing the knife down on the table and using the drum sander knowing that I am at a 90 on the spine is nice. If I had a horizontal grinder with a small wheel, I might never use the drum sander...

I'm also thinking of a small wheel attachment used vertically with my 123 block. That should work fine, but I'm saving for the funds and want a band saw first!

Last edited:
Back