Hidden Tang Tool

oldknife

Saw some one was doing a hidden tang but now cant find the thread. This is the tool I use to do a hidden tang, first drill a 1/4" hole hole in the center of your handle put this tool in your fordom and you can rabbet out your handle to accept your tang, it has a .190 carbide ball cutter silver soldred to a .183" od. stem that is 2.718" long, overall is 3.820" . This won't make you a tight fit, so fill with epoxy, some times I will glue a piece in the end that fits the tang to keep things where I want them, have the end of the handle fit to the guard before epoxy , be sure it all fits, let the weight of the blade hold it down, I don't use any clamps. I drill the hole in the stem on a lathe so it will run straight. Deane

Attachments

• IMG_1296.JPG
    IMG_1296.JPG
    135.7 KB · Views: 41
What I’ve been doing lately is drilling the handle stock with a bit slightly larger than the thickness of the tang. Then I use a sawsall blade that ground down to make a broach and remove any remaining material from the previous drill site to fit the tang. I typically make the tang fit larger than the tang and use epoxy for the final fit up.

I made/tried a tool like that years ago.....but far prefer a handle broach...... much faster, with far less effort. Drill a 1/4" hole, and then just "pull file" it out to the size needed.

JPerry-Broach-Blade.jpg

and yes.... I just had to make a damascus model! ;)

Damascus-Broach.jpg

IMG-4256.jpg

Last edited:
Back