High heat engine paint for knives?

Chuck Gedraitis Knives

I was picking up some sandpaper and saw this stuff on the shelf. Withstands heat up to 2000deg. Spray it on let it dry. Then bake at various temperatures to cure it. It is silicone ceramic based. I thought that it might work on blades.
What do you think?

VHT FLAMEPROOF™ COATING

VHT FlameProof™ Coating will renew and extend the life of any surface exposed to extremely high temperatures. This unique coating is a matte finish, silicone ceramic base widely used by the automotive industry on exhaust systems and the aerospace industry for jet engines, re-entry vehicles and other high temperature applications. VHT FlameProof™ Coating will withstand temperatures up to 2000°F (1093°C) and is ideal for use on headers, exhaust systems, or wherever an extreme temperature coating is needed.

Temperature: 1300°F-2000°F (704°C-1093°C)

I've used it on a couple guns. It produces a good finish which is fairly tough but I don't think it would last very long on a knife that gets used.

Somebody may try some on a scrap piece to see how it actually holds up to 1900+ degrees. I think they tend to exaggerate the heat range a tad. I repainted my Paragon oven with it last year and it stunk to high heaven just like a newly painted set of header on the first couple firings and I had to exhaust the entire shop. Smoke was coming out of the doors like the place was on fire. I'm not sure it would last too good inside an oven.

I use it on headers, when I was truck pulling would repaint them often as it turned to a powder and rubbed off. It will hold up pretty well on them but I know the headers are not as hot as inside a heat treat oven. My guess is if you paint a piece and put it in the oven you'll have smoke coming out of your oven.

i have actually tried this on a knife and it works for a while but will chip off and scuff pretty bad. it works very well on wood though..just spray it on bake lightly with a torch and buff lightly and it makes a nice shine on wood and is very durable..

Back