How Do You Buy Your Leather?

DanF

I just received my order of leather in preparation of making my sheath for the current KITH, and was curious as to how others purchase.
In the past I bought shoulders or halves but found a lot of unusable areas in that, so I started buying precut square feet of a known grade/quality. The only waste now is in the trimmings.
So, what works for you?

I like shoulders and double shoulders. Having the trimmings is useful when I need a piece of leather as a pad or for some little doodad. I don’t do a lot of leather work so a side or double bend will last me a very long time.

Last edited:
I buy halves from Wickett & Craig. Shipped right to my door. Best way for me being so far away from a leather outlet.

Once in a while, I will buy leather at Tandy if I am in the store and the price is right. This is a two-half hour drive one way. Usually it is a double shoulder or two.

Leather can be frustrating. It is common to find hard and soft spots, thin spots, wrinkles, range marks (scars, bug bites, etc) and have a lot of waste. Maybe 20%. It's part of it. When we cut squares from hides, we end up a lot of scrap.

Before I got into the supply thing, personally I was buying double shoulders in 8/9oz from Wickett&Craig. There was a lot to trim away but I got a lot of nice material away from the edges. I thought it was the most economical way to buy it.

I buy local, its Herman Oak leather. They have the most consistent grading available. Quality is really nice as well. I use a lot of leather and only buy what I can put my hands on and see for myself. I have had good luck with wicket and Craig. Tandy just wraps the first piece they come to in the stack and I hate that nonsense.

The caveat to buying it by the square foot is that you'll pay double or more sometimes. The larger the piece the better the price. Know your leather and what characteristics you are looking for. Bends and bellies make good belts. Shoulders and double shoulders are what most use for knife sheaths as it has some thickness, good density and still has some flexibility. Unless you are planning to bond the leather always buy one ounce thickness more than you think you need. The ounce weight system can be tricky and there are lots of online resources for conversion to MM. Remember you can always thin or skive the leather but you can't put anymore on there.

These days I use two or three different thickness of leather on one sheath. The body, strap and accents, belt loop. Just throwing some stuff at you.

I've purchase a lot of leather over the years, and agree with Tracy in that is can be frustrating. It's another entire aspect to learn. What I can say is that all leather IS NOT created equal.

Buying the cheapest you can find, will only cause you grief, and lessen the quality of the end product.

Chrome tanned leather.....NO! Ever see an old knife with green goop all over the guard/hardware? That's because the sheath was made of chrome tanned. It's the cheapest method of tanning, but the down side is that all the chromatic acids can never be rinsed out, and are reactive with various metals/hardware. Chrome tanned leather are also much more difficult to bend, mold, etc.

Oak/Veg or other naturally tanned leathers: YES

I agree with Vonbrown on Herman Oaks, Wickett and Craig, as well as buying more at a time...... I've tried a number of times to mail order leather, but more often then not, it gets returned, even though I stress that I only want the BEST they can provide.....then the leather shows up with 25% or more unusable due to scars, brands, cuts, or tears. Now, unless the store has proven they can meet my demands, it's buy only in person.

Right now, the only outfit I trust enough to mail order from is Wickett and Craig. They don't offer 8/9oz...... they offer either 8oz or 9oz, and will skive exactly what weight I ask for. I've also never had to return anything from them. I tend to buy either a double bend, or a double shoulder....generally comes to 14-22 square feet of leather. As long as you keep it in a temp controlled environment, and keep the critters out of it, it won't go bad on the shelf. :)

I buy two double shoulder at a time and my supplier (NZ Leather supplies) get all his leather in from India as there is a much improved quality of leather (no barbed wire scars etc) over what had been available and there are no trimmings as all the waste has been removed before it is shipped to NZ. Very good quality leather and runs at US$7.90 a foot.

Who do you guys actually purchase the WC leather? Are all the distributors of this leather providing the same quality?

Who do you guys actually purchase the WC leather? Are all the distributors of this leather providing the same quality?

No they are not. Wickett and Craig is a leather sales company, not a leather maker. They import most of their leather I believe. Herman Oak leather is carried by lots of companies. If it doesn't say Herman Oak leather, it isn't. Be careful of "Sherman" Oak and Craftsman Oak, not the same leather.

No they are not. Wickett and Craig is a leather sales company, not a leather maker. They import most of their leather I believe. Herman Oak leather is carried by lots of companies. If it doesn't say Herman Oak leather, it isn't. Be careful of "Sherman" Oak and Craftsman Oak, not the same leather.
Ok thanks! I’m gonna look into this. For some reason I can’t find the actual wickett and Craig distributors

I just bought my first 12" x12" piece of Leather to try my first Leather Sheath. Another new skill set!! Oh boy here we go again!! LOL!!

Back