How do you deal with rust?

Another product I have yet to see mentioned here is "Corrosion X". I've used it quite a bit on hard use knives as well as firearms (everything from 22 LR to "M-2"). It is also used pretty heavily in the aviation industry to protect the frames of aircraft as well as for protecting seawater fishing boats. It's some pretty serious stuff.

I will say WD-40 is very effective for our area. I used to use a lot more than I do now that I have a large portion of my shop climate controlled. It's cheap enough I used to have a can sitting around an nearly every machine and used to keep my bare engine parts and wrenches sprayed with it. I think it works good here because of our humidity, since I live on the Ohio River valley. If you wipe stuff down with regular oil it seems to trap moisture against the metal but the Wd-40 seems to do what it says and displace the moisture.

I've also always used it on the outside of guns and I have a couple friends who claim to keep their knives wiped down with it. It's not a great lubricant and will gum up the inside of a gun but it does a fair job displacing moisture and leaving a protective film.

Clensoil is another amazing product I just recently started using. It is the best thing I've ever tried on muzzle loading firearms that have had that nasty Pyrodex in them. That stuff is terribly corrosive and Clensoil is the very best thing I've tried for this. It works better than Corrosion X and many others that I used to think were the best.

I've started wiping my Damascus blades down with Clensoil after I realized Gil has been using it on his for years.

Back