how is 304 SS for polishing?

Smallshop

KNIFE MAKER
In changing my Bowie design my guard will be different than the 303 that I bought. I can buy 304 cheaper but was wondering how it buffs, etc. I know it will not mill as easy as 303...but is enough cheaper to be worth it.

Any of the 300 series stainless are a major pain in the back side to polish. It will have to be sanded with each successive grit to a super fine (1500-2000 grit) finish.....then it will take 2-3 different buffing steps to polish.

Personally, it's not worth the effort it takes for me, and we in the ABS tend to warn potential JS testers off from using it.....because it often causes failures. It's that difficult to polish or get an even finish on it.

There's a reason that most MS will push 416, and even better.... Nickel Silver. Yes, both are significantly more expensive then 300 series stainless, but most feel it's worth the extra $$, because of how much nicer/easier it works and polishes.

Exactly what I needed to know! 416 it is...

Had a chunk of 304 sittin' in the shopping cart online waitin' fer the go ahead...lol.

Back