How long you been making knives?

Hello,
I've been making knives since 1996. I used files and a mountain of sandpaper and of course. that most important ingredient, Elbow Grease!:3:

After about 18 months I had saved enough to buy a Coote Belt Grinder 2 x 72". There were about four or five 2 x 72" MFG er's back then.

Its been quite the Journey! I've needed Carpel Tunnel & Elbow Tunnel & five of my fingers treated with surgery from it. They are selling well!

Love it! Wouldn't change a thing!:60:

I'm just a new kid from the sounds of things. I made my first knife shaped object in the fall of 2012.

Chris
Not anymore. Lol Im going on mabbe 2 yrs and thought I was on a roll with the old skool planer blades and a bench and angle grinders, then learned of these mystical things called belt sanders and now am slowly plugging away at building a knife grinder.
Here is the first one I made planer blade and an antler crown and eye guard.
f0dda00031fb56ab9c3e1dc22f962d5c.jpg

And the latest working knife that was 80% done by me.AEBL MYKARTA and felt liner
Ht is what I have yet to master since I lack an oven or forge.
33544cd9f3e6f4894ae6922e734a69b4.jpg

Well I started about 1977 when my wife's boss an administrator in a hospital asked me it I might want to give it a try. His Dad had a large saw mill and there was lots of old blades he could bring me.
Frank

Well I can say it has not been as long as I thought just came across a receipt for a personalizer machine I got soon after I started marked 2007 so I wil say ten years close to 11 and can't imagine not getting into this and getting to now some of the best friends I could ever now. There are no others like knife makers.

June 2008, just passed 8 years. Built about 440 knives since then, part time. Hope to go full time after I retire in another 17 years, assuming I don't go insane first.

Back