How much more?

Gahagan

On average how much more do most of you charge for mirror polish over satin finish on a 10" blade 16" oal knife? I really hate doing the mirror finsh but the customer wants a price difference between the two. How do you determine it

I charge them the same. To me it isn't that much extra work it only takes about a 1/2 hour or so longer.

I must be doing something wrong it takes me a lot more work to get that sucker to a mirror finish.

I must be doing something wrong it takes me a lot more work to get that sucker to a mirror finish.

I cannot speak for whether there should be a price difference or not.
Every individual has his/her own way of pricing work.

Many factors are at play here, not the least of which is the steel being used, as some steels seem to lend themselves to the process better than others.
Kinda like when my son wants to be bald, he shaves his head. Me, I just let nature take its course with very little effort involved for the "shine".:what!:

In addition to the extra time involved (however much it may be), let's not disregard the extra expenses incurred besides time. A higher level of polish naturally demands a more structured process. IOW, more outlay in abrasives. Extra belts/sandpaper in progressively finer grits, polishing compounds and wheels, etc.

As far as consumables are concerned, I would think that abrasives (in all the various forms) are our most expensive items.
But then again, it all depends on how business is done. Many people build in any extra costs up front irregardless of level of finish.

I cannot speak for whether there should be a price difference or not.

As far as consumables are concerned, I would think that abrasives (in all the various forms) are our most expensive items.
But then again, it all depends on how business is done. Many people build in any extra costs up front irregardless of level of finish.
If a buffer is involved you have to charge for hazard work.

Also, it depends what price range the basic knife is in initially. If it's a $500 knife then you could probably charge more extra than if it's a $200 piece.

I would add the price of a set of norax belts and a little more for time.

I dont do any satan finish blades I think its the whole process. Now buffing 440 c compared to cpm154 its alot more work but still part of the deal. If you really feel it takes that much longer I dont think so I agree with tedinatal . from a satan finish to mirror takes at most 30 min but more like 10 min for me but I sand to 1200 and some times 3000 then normally buff 10 min max . If I had to put a price on it like that I would add say 25 dollars max. I was told if you make 5 dollars an hour profit when you first start out your doing well and as time goes on adjust your price.

I agree with HELLGAP on the price or at least that is what most around me charge to mirror. It just takes that much more time.

Back