How much time to make a folder?

dkemppai

Hi all,

Just looking for some general information on how long it takes you guys to make a folder. No really 'over the top' knives, just your average custom folder with nice materials.

I've read through a few out of print books featuring big name guys who make folders, but nowhere did I see any info on how long they spend.

So, if you don't mind sharing. How many hours, and over how many days/weeks do you spread this out?

Thanks!
Dan

Time isn't a factor when you build any type of knife.....whether it takes 1 hour, or a thousand, you take whatever amount of time is required to turn out the best product YOU can.

That being said, if I'm really "busting hump" I can turn out a "run of the mill" folder in 2 days. More often the average time for me is is 2-3 weeks.

The fastest way to build any knife is.....SLOWLY.

Yep, that's how I build folders - VERY slowly! I'd expect I have 20 mhrs or so in a folder.... It takes a while to get all the parts fitting together as they should.

Ken H>

Yes, I agree on something well done but plain about 16 - 20 hours but on the more elaborate ones, well I wouldn't want to scare myself by keeping track of how long it took.
Frank

Ed,

The intent isn't to try to rush. Just wondering from a time standpoint how long it takes you guys.

In general I probably average the same hours and periods of time you guys are.

That said, I spend some time doing CAD/CAM for the CNC. Then there is some time to make fixtures. So the first one is slow, but follow up copies are much quicker. Not counting heat treat, I probably run from 7 to 15 hours. Being blessed with a great day job, wonderful wife, and family, it usually it takes 2 or 3 weeks to get that time in.

...of course, I've got one on the bench I've been staring at for a year, and still can't bring myself to finish. So that one probably blows up the average...

Dan

I work only the weekends because my "shop" is at my grandma's countryside house and i live and work in town.
That said, working at a single blade slipjoint 5-8 hours a day, 2 days a week, it usually takes me 3-4 weekends, but can be more if something went wrong during the process. It is a long time, well spent!!! I was also wondering how much time does it take for the professionals ;)

Stefano

Back