How to do a stitched Rawhide wrap??

C Craft

Not sure where to put this so figured I would start here. If this is in the wrong place moderators feel free to move it!!

So the tittle pretty much says it all!! What I am trying to figure out how to do is just like this pic from the net!
upload_2017-8-29_9-6-5.jpeg This is a knife by White Wolf., the picture says!

I have tried to find a tutorial for the process and how the stitching is done but haven't been able to find one. Does anyone know where there is such a tutorial on the rawhide wrap. Pictures would be nice but, even an explanation might help! Sometimes it is just easier to look at a diagram!!!

Not sure where to start. I do not know if the rawhide overlaps, or how the stitching starts and finishes. I am going to assume the last of the sinew is tucked to avoid a not that is not comfortable to handle.

If anyone can shed some light on this it would be greatly appreciated!!!

Probably the biggest thing when dealing with rawhide is having the rawhide in "case" and stretching it as you go. From what I can see in the pic, that's a pretty standard "overlap" of both the main rawhide material and the stitching.

The way I do it is to prepare the parts to approx size, including the length of the rawhide stitching, by soaking them in luke warm water. This is a time sensitive part.... soak the rawhide too little and it doesn't stretch. Soak it too long and it breaks when tension is applied. When rawhide is "just right" it will have a slightly "slimy" feel to it, yet retain it's toughness. If the surface has a "jelly" look/feel, it's soaked too long, and will easily break when tension is applied. If this happens, your only choice is to let it completely dry out, and try again.

In my experience a second try is about all you get out of rawhide. Once it's soaked too long, and gets that "jellied" look/feel a second time, it's pretty much wrecked.

It's also an experience thing of just how much tension to apply when stitching....until I gained some experience, I had curing rawhide shrink so much that it literally crushed what I applied it to. I suspect the reason you don't see it done all the time is that there's more to it than most would think, and it does take some practice to figure it all out.

Last edited:
Back