I Don’t Want To But I’m Going To

Randy Lucius

Not sure how I made this stupid mistake again. G10 bolsters. Will not smooth out and are horrible. So out comes the heat gun and off they go. I have some spalted birch to replace it and I’m using African Ebony for the bolster this time.
0C74F004-1947-48CC-AED2-A4965A9EA88D.jpeg
Well it was a good looking knife from about 10 feet away. :)
E485292D-A893-4175-8367-7127C68B07E1.jpeg

Where are you getting your G10 from Randy, I use a lot of it and it always finishes nice for me.
I get mine from Alpha knife supply.

Where are you getting your G10 from Randy, I use a lot of it and it always finishes nice for me.
I get mine from Alpha knife supply.
I’ve had it in my material drawer for awhile. Can’t remember exactly where I bought it. Got some Africa Ebony on order. Next time I order from Alpha I’ll throw some in the cart Thanks!!

Come to think of it. Might not be G10 at all. Probably black canvas micarta which is even a more stupid mistake.

It doesn't look like canvas micarta but its hard to tell from the pic.

But it looks like rough/uneven finished g-10 OR low quality g-10.....one of the two.

I've used a LOT of g-10 and it can easily achieve a silky smooth looking even finish or even pure flat black.

It doesn't look like canvas micarta but its hard to tell from the pic.

But it looks like rough/uneven finished g-10 OR low quality g-10.....one of the two.

I've used a LOT of g-10 and it can easily achieve a silky smooth looking even finish or even pure flat black.
Paper micarta maybe?
A5E17B72-54BD-4AB7-B725-D54BA9ACD385.jpeg

No....its definitely not paper micarta.

It kinda looks like canvas micarta from that edge but I haven't seen any that fine grained.

It also looks like poor quality g-10.

Could you take a small piece of that and radius cut into it with a 120 grit belt and don't do anything else to it?

John. Do you think going higher than 800 grit will have any effect?

No 800 should be okay. I usually go to 1000 but I've noticed that 220 is a REALLY critical stage. I've found that I have to sand at 220 twice as long as I think to get all the coarser grits and/or file marks completely out. After that, its pretty easy going from 400 to 800 to 1000.

I'd just make sure you do a really good job at 220 before moving on.

Back