I Don’t Want To But I’m Going To

It's not "bad" g10. It's simply g10. Sand blasting it is about the only way to make it look like something decent once you sand through the gel coat. (it's not really gel coat but you know what I mean). After fighting this look from g10 for years I finally quit using g10 unless I sandblasted it. Sandblasted on the appropriate knife, it's just fine.

disclaimer: we sell the following so take this for what it's worth.

I complained about this exact issue to Norplex for years. I wasn't the only one to complain. In response they came out with Ultrex g10. G10 is made for function with a few color choices as a small nod toward cosmetics. Ultrex was designed for appearance with the brute toughness of g10.

Ultrex uses a smaller glass mat with smaller fiber yarn and smaller weave. The resin was also enhanced to get better penetration into the yarn. To be sure, you will still see the glass mat in Ultrex but it will be less noticeable and less ugly.

Then there are those of us who like the texture. There are better materials for appearance, but G10 is the only thing I've held in my hand that maintained grip when wet. I know this doesn't replace proper handle shape, but for pure users, I like the texture. As you can see. 9ED63B83-34B8-4761-9699-CC0CBBC4D554.jpeg

Back