I hate making sheaths!

Edwardshandmadeknives

I really really do not like making sheaths. I find leatherwork boring and tedious, and I’m not “great” at it by any means. I was wondering what people think of knives where the knife is sole authorship, but the sheath was made by someone else? Is that ok, or do the sheaths “have to” be made by the knifemaker? I’d rather not have to make them, just wondering if I have to,or if I can farm it out.

I’m with you. Sheath making is the least desirable aspect of knife making to me. I approached a leather worker about making sheaths and it would have added $$$ to my knives and I’m not really making a profit other than enjoyment on my knives.
But I’ve persevered and have tried to gain the patience to turn out quality leather work. It’s still not my favorite thing to do but it’s growing on me.
DeMo has really helped with his tutorials and seeing his finished work.
If I can overcome the ‘uggg’ anyone can!!

I’m with you. Sheath making is the least desirable aspect of knife making to me. I approached a leather worker about making sheaths and it would have added $$$ to my knives and I’m not really making a profit other than enjoyment on my knives.
But I’ve persevered and have tried to gain the patience to turn out quality leather work. It’s still not my favorite thing to do but it’s growing on me.
DeMo has really helped with his tutorials and seeing his finished work.
If I can overcome the ‘uggg’ anyone can!!
I will have to back @opaul on this one, I have two of his knives/sheaths and I like them both. He may not enjoy it but he does make a good quality sheath.

for me it was pretty much like once you get the process down - it becomes less of a chore and becomes an outlet for creativity !

My whole problem with sheath making was with Arthur. Arthur-itis in my hands. Saddle stitching was killing my hands. The Cow Boy Outlaw cured that problem. That being said, I do not enjoy making sheaths like I do knives.

That's another large cash investment. As a hobbyist who makes and sells knives for fun it's not really another thing I want to get into.

However, you need a good sheath with a fixed blade knife unless it's a kitchen knife...

Evidentually you don't know how to price your knives or the values of nice knives. A Knowledgeable maker passes costs onto the buyer and both come out ahead.
So tell us about the time you passed on the full price of a $250 sheath. Yes, the very well-known sheath maker told me I should be getting more for my knives. Problem is nobody would pay me more.

Last edited:
Then you are advertising in the wrong market and you are using a sheath maker who your need to do a search for a less expensive maker. You can make all kind of excuses about why not to do it.

As others have said… most won’t care and a nicer sheath will add value to the overall presentation. You’ll need to be able to justify about $100-$110 to recover your cost of outsourcing and what have you. I often make sheaths for a handful of makers including for myself and it seems to work well.

Then you are advertising in the wrong market and you are using a sheath maker who your need to do a search for a less expensive maker. You can make all kind of excuses about why not to do it.
Any suggestions? Incidentally, that sheath maker in question was Paul Long. I have used tree stump/Chris Kravitt off the shelf stuff for a number of years. I just build enough to fit the chef.

Back