I think I made a mistake

Ernie Swanson

SASSY PINK LUUNCHBOX KNIFE MAKER
Today I got some knives back from Peter's heat treat.
I had Brad Sandblast one of them.

Well I went to fit up the scales and get everything ready to glue them on.
Then I realized that after the scales are on and I start shaping them I will end up sanding on the spine. So in order for me to get a good fit with the scales I am going to ruin the sandblast finish.

Is there a way to protect the metal and still get a good fit so you cannot feel the transition from metal to wood on the spine?

I think next time I better have the scales ready before I send it out.

the short answer is no.
Longer answer is no but... you can sand it all down, tape off what you don't want sand blasted and touch it up on the spine to get that look back. It's not that big of a deal.

the short answer is no.
Longer answer is no but... you can sand it all down, tape off what you don't want sand blasted and touch it up on the spine to get that look back. It's not that big of a deal.

Yeah I was thinking thats what I would have to do.
Should I glue the scales on then send it out to get the spine touched up or just fit the scales then send it out with out them on there?

Thanks Boss

If the scales are micarta or G-10 you could opt to go with a blasted finish on them too. Otherwise I would glue the scales on, then mask them off carefully. That way if you have any glue to clean off the tang it will get blasted off and you should be good to go. If you glue up afterwards you will have to use chemicals to clean off any excess glue.

I haven't done or seen it done before, but the contrast of sanded spine and sandblasted flats might look nice/interesting. I like the look of a satin flats contrasted with a mirrored spine for example.

It looks about like rough-sanded micarta but will vary somewhat depending on the abrasive and grit size. Makes a nice feeling grip surface.

Go ahead and sand around the handle and the entire spine. I think the two tone finish might be pretty interesting.

Ernie,
Jump on my website and have a look at the S30V Tactical down the bottom of page 1 in the Gallery. The blade and handle are bead blasted together.
Cheers Bruce

Back