India Stones??

Ernie Swanson

SASSY PINK LUUNCHBOX KNIFE MAKER
I got an india medium and fine stones from Tracy and i was wondering if they ar an oil stone or a water stone?
If they are oil what kind of oil do I have to use? can I use baby oil or does it need to be a special oil?

Thanks in advance!!!

I like lamp oil or kerosene. they are enough to float the metal away from the stone but don't plug the stone.

I have two vintage Norton India stones, nice stones. India stones are meant to be used with oil and are usually oil-soaked at the factory.

I use a 50/50 new engine oil/ kerosene mixture, not too thick or too thin. Works great for me.

Cheers...John.

Growing up my father was a butcher & this is the only type of stone he would use. We always used WD-40 for the oil. I have always used WD-40 also and it seems to work great for me. Ed Fowler also told me he used kerosene on is india stones. Hope this helps.

The main purpose of the oil is to keep the gunk from clogging the pores. You don't want an oil with high film strength or other good lubricating properties. Kerosene, lamp oil, WD 40 ect all fit the bill (never use WD 40 for lubrication, *shudder*).

I use thin mineral oil because my stones live in the kitchen submerged in the stuff, so odor free non evaporating and food safe were priorities. It works well.

Since we're talking about Norton stones. Does anyone know the best way to flatten one out after it get a saddle in it. I have one that my Dad got in 1958 and would sure like to get it back to flat.

Thanks,
Carey

Since we're talking about Norton stones. Does anyone know the best way to flatten one out after it get a saddle in it. I have one that my Dad got in 1958 and would sure like to get it back to flat.

Thanks,
Carey

I can't help you,as to the best way to flatten it back out,but if it were me I would leave it the way it is,esp.if it belong to my dad.
I have a few that belong to an uncle of mine and one that belong to my Grandfather,that are worn to the point of almost breaking.I kinda like the history.{Just my 2 cents.}

God bless,Keith

Kieth, that thought has crossed my mind a number of times. I don't know that I will do anything to this one but I thought it would be good information to have and pass around.

Thanks,
Carey

I too would leave it as it is. I have one that I have owned seince 1974 and it was old when I got it. that said, to flatten a worn stone you need to get a second stone or you can get a stone dresser(a second stone with grooves cut in it) I would use a crystalon stone, just rub the two faces together in a slight circular motion, use water to carry away the grit.

Norton makes a honing oil for their stones, but it's kind of pricey. I used to use kerosene on my fine India stones, also from the recommendation of Ed Fowler, before I switched to diamond stones.

The main purpose of the oil is to keep the gunk from clogging the pores. You don't want an oil with high film strength or other good lubricating properties. Kerosene, lamp oil, WD 40 ect all fit the bill (never use WD 40 for lubrication, *shudder*).

I use thin mineral oil because my stones live in the kitchen submerged in the stuff, so odor free non evaporating and food safe were priorities. It works well.

+1 on the thinned mineral oil. I thin it with odorless mineral spirits.

I agree with leaving the dished stones as they are.

However ,to flatten a stone, you use a dressing/flattening stone. In Japanese it is called an arato...litterally "Rough Stone". You can buy modern dressing stones from Woodcraft and other woodworking suppliers. It is a coarse grit ( usually 100 or less) synthetic stone with grooves to make it cut faster.
http://www.woodcraft.com/Catalog/ProductPage.aspx?prodid=17629
Work the stone to be flattened on it until flat. Carefully clean the dressed stone to remove any coarse grit that may get on it.
A 100 grit diamond stone will work to dress a finer stone,too, but you have to watch for diamond crystals getting embedded in the finer stone.

To recondition oil stones, you first have to remove the metal, dirt,and gunk out that has dried in the stone pores. A good scrubbing with a bristle brush and brake cleaner or paint thinner will do a lot. Most of the time this is all that needs to be done. After the cleaning, dry the stone for a day or two, and then soak in light oil to re-fill the pores with oil.
On severely caked and age dried stones ( I have seen them that look like they were packed in Cosmoline), after cleaning with solvents, the stones can be simmered for an hour in a solution of dish soap and water. After this, scrub them well by hand with dish soap and water. Rinse well and wipe dry. Bake in a 250 degree oven for two hours. Turn the oven off and let the stones cool in the oven overnight. Re-oil and they should be good as new.

Stacy

Consider using any motor oil you have on hand. For sharpening stones, oil is oil is oil. For 80cents you can have enough sharpening oil for years. I sell the Norton sharpening oil if you want to pay nearly $40 for a quarts worth.
The india stones I sell are not oil soaked. Norton says you can use oil or water with them. I prefer water myself when using stones. If I use a stone that has been used with oil, I'll use oil. On a new stone, I use water.

Lloyd Hale posted this message once in a tip thread.
"Water cuts. Oil polishes"
I had to think about that for a long time.

We sell the Norton Flattening Stone in our store. It is a coarse grit silicon carbide stone w/ groves in it and is made for flattening other stones. We sell it for $22 and will give you 10% off for being a knife dog. Give me a call at our store between 9 to 7 central time Monday through Saturday 432-267-4935. (Bear Claw Knife & Shear)
You could also use glass with wet/dry sand paper on it. Wet it down before use. Draw pencil lines in a grid on your stone so you can see your progress. Then turn up side down and rub on the wet glass with the sand paper. Hope this helps.

Consider using any motor oil you have on hand. For sharpening stones, oil is oil is oil. For 80cents you can have enough sharpening oil for years. I sell the Norton sharpening oil if you want to pay nearly $40 for a quarts worth.
The india stones I sell are not oil soaked. Norton says you can use oil or water with them. I prefer water myself when using stones. If I use a stone that has been used with oil, I'll use oil. On a new stone, I use water.

Lloyd Hale posted this message once in a tip thread.
"Water cuts. Oil polishes"
I had to think about that for a long time.

Thanks Tracy,
I was not sure if they were water or oil. I will use water and see how that does!!!

Man talk about servicecool 1

Back