Inexpensive 1750 RPM buffer?

Thanks Mook. I do have a small wheel (maybe 2") I got with one of those sanding drum kits...I guess I could try tinkering with it in the drill press to see if it is capable of doing any real buffing.

Erin, that looks handy for sure, but something tells me it doesn't fit the inexpensive criteria that is unfortunately an overriding theme for me these days!

So I picked up one of theses 1750 RPM buffers on Saturday from woodcraft. I think the original price was around 125 or so. It was on sale for 89 bucks. The guy gave me another 10% off since I had a coupon.

So 80 bucks later, I am in my garage taking the grinding wheels off and replacing them with buffing wheels.

So far, I gotta say that I am pleased. It still is one of the most dangerous tools I own, but it seems a lot less frightening than the 3600 RPM buffer that I had been using.

Lonestar JR

Lonestar I'll be interested in learning whether you find that the 1/2 hp is sufficient. I'm sure with proper preparation it would be, but ... you know me. Or not, but take my word for it; I'm a power-mad electric junky. I think I'd stall a 1/2 hp buffer, but I'd like to hear what you think.

Congratulations! Getting new tools is so cool. :cool:

Dave,
I will give it a good thrashing this weekend. Today is my last day at the office before the holidays and I am really looking forward to spending some time in the shop.
I'll post here on the results.

Lonestar JR

Last edited:
Lucky you! :D I have one more day, and a long one at that. But there's a gun show this weekend, so that'll be good compensation.

The net nanny at my job won't let me view these forums, because ... knives are "Weapons"! :rolleyes: You can always tell the PC person in the room, because they're the dumbest one. I think corporate HR departments are made up of all the people who can't do actual jobs that require thinking for oneself. We live in a world full of people ruled by fear.

But I digress. :) Looking forward to the work you do this weekend - be sure to share pictures.

I'm using an 8" grinder with buffing wheels on both ends. It works for me.

I am having a problem getting the compounds to stick to the wheels. Any Ideas?

Thanks,

I don't really know, but that kind of sounds like it might be a wheel issue to me. What kind of wheels are you using? Is the compound fresh? If it's dry that might be the issue too. I've had some compound that was pretty dry just fly off the wheel; a different bar worked on the same wheel.

1/2 hp is plenty strong enough. I promise it will throw a knfe across the room and bury it in to a 2x4.

Promise? :D Jim those are some beautiful integrals! Dang! 2thumbs

I found an 8" 3/4 HP Harbor Freight 3600 RPM with long shafts locally for $50. I'm thinking if I can get it for a bit less than asking price it might be as good a start as any. Still not sure if slower with short shafts is a better choice than fast with nice long shafts...

That will work, but be very careful. 3600 rpm is really fast, and with a large wheel on there, it's incredibly fast. I've only had something get away from me twice but both times is was faster than I realized anything had happened - faster than an eyeblink. It's the most dangerous tool you will have, and it never gets any less dangerous. Maybe it gets moreso as you begin to think you have it figured out...

Yes, I'm still torn about what to do Dave. I know it's really too fast, but if I can get it for $40 or so and it gets me started...

I used a buffer for the first time yesterday, a 1750 RPM Baldor, and although I had and have great respect for the machine, it wasn't anywhere near the fear and intimidation factor that I had built up in my head after reading about how deadly and evil buffers are for the last year and a half. That experience gives me a bit more confidence in trying out a faster machine, although my preference would still be a slow one...what to do, what to do...

I understand; it's how I ended up with a 3600 rpm buffer. :) Respect the hell out of it, always be cautious, and always have your cell phone nearby in case you need to call for help. Probably no matter what you do it's going to grab your knife some day and fling it off somewhere you'll have no control over. If you buff below the centerline, chances are it'll throw your material away from you or at least into the floor instead of your belly or femoral artery.

That's being dramatic, but I think it's okay to be overly cautious of that thing.

Yesterday I hit refresh on the open browser window to see if the $50 Harbor Freight buffer was still available, and it had been deleted so I assumed it had been sold and did a new search. Right at the top of the new search was the same buffer, now for $35, so I decided at that price it was hard to go wrong and I went and picked it up. It's like new, barely used, and should get me started. Perhaps I will regret not spending more money later if it sends my nearly finished pride and joy right into my concrete floor (or me!), but I hope it will get me going without any major issues.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=40668

Attachments

• 3ke3of3l05O85Q75Pc9br486f7efa94781ee3.jpg
    3ke3of3l05O85Q75Pc9br486f7efa94781ee3.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
I've got an eight inch Delta variable speed that is fixin to be the motor for my NWG. I paid $130 for it brand new at Lowes I haven't used it as a buffer because I have a 1 hp Jet. But it would work the same.

Yesterday I hit refresh on the open browser window to see if the $50 Harbor Freight buffer was still available, and it had been deleted so I assumed it had been sold and did a new search. Right at the top of the new search was the same buffer, now for $35, so I decided at that price it was hard to go wrong and I went and picked it up. It's like new, barely used, and should get me started. Perhaps I will regret not spending more money later if it sends my nearly finished pride and joy right into my concrete floor (or me!), but I hope it will get me going without any major issues.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=40668

Good deal man.2thumbs
You will want to be careful buffing light colored material also. Try a test piece before buffing the actual handle.

I was going to tell you Ace hardware has .5 hp bench grinders on sale for 20.00 bucks.

petie, that sounds like a great option for the future; thanks for the tip.

Shankmaker, I will be extremely careful with everything, especially at first since I've never owned a buffer before and this one is fast enough to be scary. I don't anticipate buffing anyting and everything, just the occasional wood handles (such as Ironwood) and SS bolsters, etc. I might be one of those things that's hard to stop once you start though ;)

Hey guys, how about using a dimmer switch for a light or ceiling fan like in your house? You could make a stand-alone unit that had it's own electric outlet to plug the buffer into then plug this unit into the wall or just cut the cord on the buffer and wire the cut ends into the dimmer switch within one of those 25 cent plastic outlet boxes.

Hey guys, how about using a dimmer switch for a light or ceiling fan like in your house? You could make a stand-alone unit that had it's own electric outlet to plug the buffer into then plug this unit into the wall or just cut the cord on the buffer and wire the cut ends into the dimmer switch within one of those 25 cent plastic outlet boxes.

Yes, would this work? I've read within the context of a belt grinder or similar application that this wouldn't really work, but if I remember that has to do with limiting the torque and/or HP of the motor in a way that would affect utility in that application. I would think with a buffer that wouldn't hurt much to reduce the power output of the motor to some degree...?

Back