Inexpensive 1750 RPM buffer?

Erin, that looks handy for sure, but something tells me it doesn't fit the inexpensive criteria that is unfortunately an overriding theme for me these days!

PJ... My post was not meant to say that a VS wood lathe makes an inexpesive buffer, but that it is sometimes possible to use something you already have to do the job. I was in the same boat as you searching for an inexpensive buffer... then, in a moment of epiphany, I realized that a piece of equipment that I already owned would do the job (and cost me almost nothing). 2thumbs

Erin

Hey guys, how about using a dimmer switch for a light or ceiling fan like in your house? You could make a stand-alone unit that had it's own electric outlet to plug the buffer into then plug this unit into the wall or just cut the cord on the buffer and wire the cut ends into the dimmer switch within one of those 25 cent plastic outlet boxes.

No, this won't work. Digital controllers manage torque through some kind of esoteric "magic" that simple dimmer switches do not possess. All you'll get is a slower, weak motor.

Erin,

I hear what you are saying, but I'm tool 'poor' in addition to being cash poor. At least I started with almost nothing, but have since added the grinder, drill press, etc. since I took up knife making. Aside from possibly the drill press, I had nothing that I could have adapted for the purpose unfortunately.

No, this won't work. Digital controllers manage torque through some kind of esoteric "magic" that simple dimmer switches do not possess. All you'll get is a slower, weak motor.

But wouldn't a slower, weaker motor be a good thing (or at least not a horrible thing) for a buffer?

Honestly, you'd just stall it touching the wheel. You could pinch it with your fingers to stop it. It just doesn't work. I'm sorry. You'd be better off with the right pulley arrangement, which would also be relatively inexpensive.

Believe me, adding stuff incrementally like you're doing will get you a decent nice shop in less time than you think, particularly if you're careful where you put your money. I am living proof that being cash poor does not mean you'll be tool poor forever. Just inch it forward wherever you can.

Patience is a knifemaker's primary asset!

I'm using an 8" grinder with buffing wheels on both ends. It works for me.

I am having a problem getting the compounds to stick to the wheels. Any Ideas?

Thanks,

Try to heat gun the compound bar and turn the wheel with your hand and touch the compound to the wheel. It'll cover and penetrate the wheel then I put a very thin layer of wood glue and wait it to be dry, then repeat process a couple of times. It will last a long time and en even result....
Emre

I originally used a 4 inch buffing wheel on a mandrel chucked into my drill press. You can change the speed on most drill presses. It worked for me until I could get a buffer. I got the HF 8 inch buffer. Not impressed with the motor, but it was a cheap fix for my knifemaking addiction.

Hey guys, how about using a dimmer switch for a light or ceiling fan like in your house? You could make a stand-alone unit that had it's own electric outlet to plug the buffer into then plug this unit into the wall or just cut the cord on the buffer and wire the cut ends into the dimmer switch within one of those 25 cent plastic outlet boxes.

tried that on a grinder and the switch blew up.

Back