Is it too early to be thinking about a KITH for next summer?

Mark Redmon

I just sent my knife out for the KITH at the other place this morning, and couldn't help but think about the exchange we had last year amongst Dogs. I really enjoy these, and it gives me an opportunity to make something just for fun. I'm getting married next June and I'll be pretty busy with that stuff so I'd like to get an early start. What do you guys think?

I doubt it pays to start making lists this early, but it doesn't hurt to bring it up. I was in the one last July and would love to go again. I think I can do better this time :)

Well, there's clearly some interest. It's not my intent to volunteer anyone to run this, but I thought Del did a great job last year organizing the exchange...maybe he'll chime in.

Mark, I was going to ask the same thing after Christmas.

Ill get in touch with Del and see if he is up to it again.

Sean

I'd love to participate in one of these! I'm just getting started, but I'm sure I can come up with something respectable enough to send to another knifemaker...

Oh yeah. Always ready for a new knife. I got a Sgian Duhb in July and a Nessie in the other places KITH. Count me in for sure.

Pat

I'm not surprised this thread is getting responses already! KITH's are great. I'm IN like Flynn... I hereby promise I'll keep a knife set aside just for this.

Ok guys, it seems like there is a lot of interest in doing this again.
I havent heard from Del, Im sure he is very busy. Ill volunteer to take this if no one else wants to.

Sean

I have never got in on a KITH before, so just to be clear on how it works, I make a knife, and then it is drawn for someone else in the KITH, and one of someone elses knives is drawn for me. Is that correct? If so count me in on this one, sounds like fun. I already have a knife in mind.
Dale

jDW, that's pretty much how it works. Sometimes the KITH has a specific theme (blade type or handle material), but it's generally just a way to swap knives between makers.

I've only done one KITH and that was on another board. Kinda left me with a bad vibe because I never got any feedback from the guy I sent my knife to. Got a great whittling folder, though, so I can't complain too much. :D

I might be keen on doing a KD KITH.

It's doing great, hoss! If it's not sitting in my truck's cup holder, serving as my day-to-day work knife, it's in hand at the wood pile making shavings as I learn to whittle. The handle shape is just the right size to fit my hand comfortably and the blade length is great for fine control and reaching into the wood. I wouldn't change the design for anything, though I wouldn't mind a blade tip that didn't always seem to find my finger!! Overall, I'd definitely give in an eight out of ten.

I did note that the scales seem to have changed colors after using it for awhile. Is that G10 or micarta?

Thanks VaughnT, I would be game for this, depending on the theme if there is one, sounds like fun.
Dale

Thanks VaughnT, I would be game for this, depending on the theme if there is one, sounds like fun.
Dale

Last time the "theme" was, make what you like and do your best. There were folders, fixed blades, hunters, fighters, etc. Known professionals and rank newbies were treated the same. It gives everyone a chance to get their work in the hands of people who will appreciate it, and critique it honestly. Plus you get a cool knife with fond memories!

That's the "theme" I like best for this kind of thing :)

Last time the "theme" was, make what you like and do your best. There were folders, fixed blades, hunters, fighters, etc. Known professionals and rank newbies were treated the same. It gives everyone a chance to get their work in the hands of people who will appreciate it, and critique it honestly. Plus you get a cool knife with fond memories!

That's the "theme" I like best for this kind of thing :)

I like that!

Back