Is knife making harmful and shorten ones life?

Dave Broughton

Every knife maker I've known in the past has died relatively young......does breathing the dust from the sanders, grinders and buffers shorten our life span?

absolutely wear a respirator and avoid skin contact with solvents and adhesives or it is a health problem in the making..

I think it's like many other activities. If you take the proper safety precautions you will be fine. I know from my own experience (which is very little I will admit) that even when hand sanding certain woods it's advisable to wear a respirator or mask. Some of the more exotic woods can have some odd effects even when breathed in in minute amounts

There's a greater likelihood for respiratory complications in our field - the airborne particles, of any of the materials, will cause problems in the long run unless as mentioned above you wear full respirators. I've got bronchitis currently that is just not improving due to me constantly aggravating it with little 5 minute "just a couple passes" cleanups with the KMG. I need to be much more disciplined.

Another issue that I've seen is arthritis. The knifemaking is really working over the first two knuckles of my right hand, where 3 years ago only the index finger bothered me. Use large-handled tools whenever possible. Hand sanding and filework seem to be especially bad.

Dave,
As Bossdog stated!
ALWAYS wear a GOOD respirator not a paper mask & avoid exposure to Epoxy acids and solvents etc. Wear rubber gloves when using these.
You want this or better to help keep your lungs in good shape. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008N1NZEQ/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1I will add to that list a few things i do.

I use plain Apple vinegar when I etch Damascus so I am not breathing caustic acid fumes.
I wear a heavy leather apron that goes past my knees to protect the family jewels and the arteries in my legs from sharp flying objects.

The BUFFER is the most dangerous machine in the shop. " the late Mr. Bob Loveless" you need 100% focus when running machine in your shop and you can double that when using a buffer.

Micarta & G-10 are some of the nastiest materials to use. Micarta releases Formaldehyde when you grind it.
The guidelines say you have to get over 4-500 degrees. I don't believe it takes that much heat because I get a headache just cutting some and won't use it anymore. G-10/Carbon fiber grinds into neat little fish hooks that once these get into your lungs, the only way to remove them is after you have assumed room temperature!:what!:

Most knife makers live long happy lives as long as they take a few precautions and don't smoke on top of being around all of this stuff to start with.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info......Not only do I work with all the products stated above but I also do gourd art and the dust from gourds is very toxic and can cause intrinsic pneumonia. I already have asbestos in my lungs from years on the railroad and breathing the dust from the asbestos brake pads and all the asbestos in those locomotives......I may have to give up the knife making when I get these blades(about 50) done and stick with my art.......

Dave

Different people react to different things... well.... differently. ;)

All things being equal, however, there are several precautions that can be taken to ensure your health and safety. I'd say a good respirator will cancel out the majority of health hazards associated with knife making, especially if you are just doing stock removal.

Forging/Casting probably adds a few more health hazards into the mix, but those can also be circumvented with a little care and precaution.

Anymore, there's a million different things that can hurt us, make us sick, or kill us (whether slowly or quickly). If you work in any kind of industrial setting, you've got even more things to worry about (such as you've already stated with your asbestos poisoning).

I work in a steel mill (pickling lines, rolling mill, and a roll grinding shop), and I can't imagine any of it is going to add any years to my life.
I figure I might as well at least do something I enjoy in the mean time.

I will say, I don't wear my respirator nearly as often as I should, however. A dust collection system (properly used and set up, of course) would be a great investment as well.

One important thing I would like to add knife dogs is our DOGS!
The late Bob Loveless took a dog of his in for a aurtopy after it died very young. His loved buddie's lungs were caked with Micarta dust and other "grindings from the shop.

I don't let my dog into the grinding area at all! Remember that the dust hangs low and they aren't wearing a respirator.

It is also important to be mindful of our children, who may wander into the shop from time to time to see what daddy is doing. Even just throwing your dusty clothes down in the laundry room could be hazardous, as not all the dust (or chemicals) may stay in one place.

One important thing I would like to add knife dogs is our DOGS!
The late Bob Loveless took a dog of his in for a aurtopy after it died very young. His loved buddie's lungs were caked with Micarta dust and other "grindings from the shop.

I don't let my dog into the grinding area at all! Remember that the dust hangs low and they aren't wearing a respirator.
Thanks for that info........I have wanted for some time to have my shop available to my little Chihuahua girl. I do love that little girl and maybe its better that she doesn't visit me withg all the dust and Micarta dust flying around.

Attachments

• Princess Bathrobe.jpg
    Princess Bathrobe.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Dave,
That is a cute little doggie, My wife gave a few of her cute sounds when I showed her the picture of your doggie in her bath robe.

Dave,
That is a cute little doggie, My wife gave a few of her cute sounds when I showed her the picture of your doggie in her bath robe.

I belong to that little girl......she is very dedicated to me and I take her with me to just about every place I go except eating places. Today she went with me to Lowes and Home Depot.....I've been sleeping with her for 10 years and if something happens to her they might as well shoot me and get me out of the sadness I'd be in......Love that Button!

Attachments

• PA210033.jpg
    PA210033.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 6
  • P9300031.jpg
    P9300031.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 5
I found his post about respirators, bought a set yesterday with P100 filters.

I'm gonna get me one also.......I would like to live as long as my dad did.....102 and his sister, 104.......I don't think I'll make it but I could sure turn out a bunch of knives and art work......

Back