Is this the natural progression?

JC in SC

I'm curious to see if this is the natural progression for other aspiring, part time and full time knifemakers out there. Like many, I grew up with a fascination/obsession with knives. Unfortunately, I wandered away during high school, presumably because it wasn't a cool hobby to have or whatever. Fast forward 10 years and my interest was rekindled. I found another forum that introduced me to many of the custom makers out there. Over the course of the last year, I've spent several hundred dollars on custom knives and my interest has continued to grow. Now I am at a crossroads. I really want to try my hand at knifemaking and currently have one small fixed blade in process. At work, I have a small 1" x 42" belt grinder, milling machine, lathes and furnaces at my disposal. I really want a home shop though so I can find more time to work on knives. I find myself contemplating selling off some/many of the customs that have fueled my passion. Obviously, I love each of the knives, which is why I bought them in the first place, but is hard not to consider the possibilities of what $1,000+ could do in the way of building a home shop. I don't really have the space at the moment, but we're planning on buying a new house in the next few months and a small shop space is my only prerequisite. So, the customs will be safe for at least the next few months, but after that who knows. How about you guys? Did you sacrifice any of your collections to fund your dreams? It seems like a big sacrifice that will be well worth it in the end, but painful nonetheless.

I didnt have to sell anything, Just bought a couple files to make my first knife!!!

but through the help from people here and another website, I have gotten some of the materials to make knives.

I now have a drill press, 2x42 grinder, vise, and a few other tools........but I still have and use my first couple files!!!

I'm wheeling and dealing, selling and trading all the time to fill my needs in the shop. I've had a shop of one kind or another for the last 35 years and that hunger for the right tools never has been satisfied. I sold my last collection of knives to buy a lathe and mill. Now I'm selling off my motorcycles to set up a new knife shop. You just have to decide what you want more and go for it.

Larry

I sold my soul as well as my firearms and knives to help fund my shop. I am still entry level with everything. But I am just now working on upgrading again. I wouldnt hesitate on doing it all over again either.

I'm wheeling and dealing, selling and trading all the time to fill my needs in the shop. I've had a shop of one kind or another for the last 35 years and that hunger for the right tools never has been satisfied. I sold my last collection of knives to buy a lathe and mill. Now I'm selling off my motorcycles to set up a new knife shop. You just have to decide what you want more and go for it.

Larry

I am currently in the process of selling motorcycles and guns to fund my entry into the knife making world. I too started to have a love affair with knives at a young age. I actually tried to "make" a knife out of a piece of plastic at around age 11 or 12. Then you get too busy with school and girls and cars and etc...... Then I got job and had money to buy a nice quality every day carry knife. Then you need two. Then you need a different one to suit your needs. Then your wife (best wife in the world) buys you the Knives 2010 book because she "thought you might like it". And then you get obsessed with how awesome these custom hand made knives are. Then you get on the net on this forum and BF and get even more obsessed. Then you are clearing space in your garage for a "shop" and spending money collecting supplies, and scrounging ebay for motors for your grinder, and contemplating how many motorcycles you really need, or how many guns you really need, and starting to sell more and more stuff to fuel it.

Yeah it is a natural progression.

I basically started forging so I'd quit buying knives,hasn't really saved me any money but it certainly keeps me occupied.

i sold some stuff... but not alot. i started with files, then a cheap 1x30.... then i walked into a deal from one of my best pals for a bandsaw and a 2x72 grizzly......

sometimes i still have to sell off something to fund belts or material... :)

I have sold upwards of $2k worth of stuff to get my shop to the point it is at now! It was worth every penny and I am just now starting to produce knives for sale. I have produced quite a few (about 20, some were junked) for family and friends to use and report back to me with their experience. It is well worth it and I think I am at the point now that it will start paying for itself... I got rid of a few things that I really didnt want to, including an ar15 upper that was pretty rare... I dont regret it one bit, after all, these knives dont run out of bullets!

Being a knife addict is just like a drug addict,you will sell anything not tied down to fund your need.And if it's tied down take a knife and cut it loose.:D
Stan

Thanks for all the responses guys. I think I knew the answer before I posted, but was curious what others thought.

I probably should have elaborated on the items I want to purchase. If I were purely interested in stock removal, it wouldn't be such an undertaking. Unfortunately, forging is what I'm most interested in and there doesn't appear to be a "files and sandpaper" solution to that desire.

I think Mr. Adkins put it best by saying I need to decide what I want more. As of right now, that is to pound on some glowing steel.

Pounding hot steel is so gratifying. It's kind of hard to put it into words but those that have worked in a smithy know what I mean. It's hot, hard work but the idea of taking a hard piece of metal and making it yield to your will does something to you. I think you will love it once you get started.

Larry

Wow just kind of glad I wasnt the only one I built a nwg, bought drill press, bought a mill/lathe, bought a band saw,buffer,more files, numerous other things now I'm building a forge so I can heat treat carbon steels and not have to send them out.

Unfortunately, forging is what I'm most interested in and there doesn't appear to be a "files and sandpaper" solution to that desire.

Sure there is! A lot of guys have started out with a hunk of railroad track, a random hunk of steel, or whatever as an anvil, a couple of firebricks or a coffee can full of kaowool and a propane torch for a forge, and a hammer from Home Depot. After that, it's files and sandpaper. :)

I've been very fortunate that I've managed to get to the point I am now without selling a whole lot (no, my soul has NOT been sold...it is however being rented by my employer... ;) ). Some of this was good luck in selling a house, some of it was skipping other things I would have ordinarily spent my money on, some of it producing things in the shop to sell, and all of it is thanks to the patience of my wonderful wife who is supportive of me to a degree that I just can't understand, but refuse to question.

In the end, what you have to ask yourself is "which path will I regret?". then, follow the other one. On one hand it may mean a very meager start with limited tools, on the other it may mean parting with some of your collection. At that point it's just a question of your priorities.

-d

Its a hobby for most people. It was for me for many years but it pays back in money if you make a good knife. Mine got much much better after I bought a good grinder, drill press and a bandsaw. I had to cash in my life insurance to buy the grinder. Kaye has more insurance on me anyway. Actually I'm worth more dead than alive. Anyway just buy the basic tools and make a nice looking knife that will hold an edge. Just keep making them and test them until you are confident they work. Its the confidence in your work that will help make sales. The price will go up as your skill level goes up but if they dont have the proper heat treatment they wont sell at all. As they sell be sure to buy more belts and tools to make them easier and better. It all takes years but its the best hobby/job I can think of.

Thanks for all the responses everyone, especially Mr. Bump. Your "W's from Walla Walla" thread is one of many in your forum that has accelerated my plans for getting a crude forging set up together. I was never crazy about Damascus blades UNTIL I saw your WIP threads and now I'm hooked.

I make knives because I can't afford the custom ones.

In any case, I like using knives and keeping a good knife locked away doesn't appeal to me.

Back