It's official, eh

Travis Fry

I just accepted a temporary assignment to go work for 10 months in Calgary, Alberta, Canada, starting in April. I won't be able to bring any equipment with me, so my knifemaking willl be put on hold until I get back. So...

Are there any Calgary area makers that could take me in so that I can get a fix once in a while?

Are there any uniquely Canadian materials that I should try to acquire while I'm there?

Are there any knife related events or places that are must-visits before I come back to Texas?

I have to be making SOMETHING, so are there any ancillary skill sets that I should work to acquire that 1) don't take a lot of equipment 2) can be done inside an apartment when it's too cold to breathe outside and 3) that can add to my knife making repertoire when I can finally get back to it?

Travis,
Calgary Eh?
Pretty darn cold this time of year! I am sure the spring will be pretty!

You could bring a good set of files, A clamp and some steel? I would look for Cattle parts in that area. With all that Cattle and cowboyin going on there might be some deals on leather, bull horns & hooves if you want any of that for handles or sheath making?

Have fun and stay in touch!

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Hi Travis
There are several good makers in Calgary. Did you get started in the engraving? Maybe it was scrimshaw but it looked good. I'm quite a distance away from Calgary but know it to be a fine city to live in. My best to you and an easy transition to your new place to live for several months. Frank

Good ideas guys. Keep 'em coming. This might be excuse I need to get that Foredom I've been wanting.

Frank, I've not started with engraving. I haven't had the opportunity to get the tools for hammer and chisel, and the air gravers are serious money. I did play with a GRS engraving setup this last weekend, and I can confidently say that I WILL learn to engrave. It may be 5 or 10 years, but I will do it. Drawing and scrimshaw and carving are different matters entirely. You may have just hit the nail where it counts.

Travis
I have a buddy living just outside of Calgary and I live about 2 hours east. You welcome to come out and build knives on weekends if you like.
Jim

Travis
I have a buddy living just outside of Calgary and I live about 2 hours east. You welcome to come out and build knives on weekends if you like.
Jim
Travis, My best friend Dana Hackney and I will be at Jim's in June for his hammer-in You should make plans to attend too.

Travis
Jim

Jim, that's a very generous offer, and I'll very likey take you up on it. I also plan to be at that hammer-in of yours, work and wife permitting. Leaving my shop behind was one of the major drawbacks of this opportunity (I'll be in an apartment downtown), but maybe this 10 months won't be as much of a knife making setback as I had initially thought. And there's always fishing to be done.

Back