ivory and ebony

N.N

I've got a commission that described a matched pair of his and her kitchen knives. They should be matched respectively, Ivory and Ebony. (ugg...white handle:noway:)

The first thing that came to my mind was the Kirinite that Bossdog sells. I think I'm trying to keep the price down, so real-er-ish ivory/ebony is probably out.

I want to ask about suggestions for something to use. Being white and already hard enough to keep clean, what is easier to work? Would g10 be too cheap and not really do the "ivory and ebony" thing? I don't know a lot about the other synthetics out there. What do you guys think you would do?

I'm partial to wood. If it were mine, I'd consider curly maple for the "ivory" and black dyed curly maple for the "ebony", (both stabilized). I think even dyed black, some of the chatoyancy (grain pop) in the wood would still show through.

Not sure I can make any recommendations for the synthetics other than acetal (Delrin) comes in black and white. Doesn't sand and polish out worth a damn, though.

-Kurt

White G10, or micarta would be far more difficult to work and "keep clean" doing it, then ivory. If I have a client who wants white G10 of Micarta...the price goes up, because its a royal pain in the rear to finish out and keep it "white". If you're looking to keep the price down, you might check into white corian. Its not nearly as bad to work and keep clean as white G10 or Micarta, and often times you can find it a local cabinet/countertop places.

Personally I'd likely use African Blackwood instead of ebony for the "dark" handled knife..... in my experience ebony is like concrete....its not a matter of IF it will check or crack....its WHEN. Blackwood is much more stable, and I also think its easier to work then Ebony.

I agree about the african blackwood. You could find some holly (like the christmas stuff). It's an almost pure white wood.

Id thought about the blackwood, but he mentioned a synthetic and so I didn't push the wood thing.

Thanks Ed, I might check some local cabinet places. Something outside the box like that for the white might be a good option.

There is a faux ivory, synthetic, that resembles the real thing decently. Cream colors, with subtle shades in the product. It comes in several thicknesses, and block sizes. I think Jantz sells it...

I would consider using UHMW for the white. It's pure white and easily polished out. Google it and check it out. I've used it a few times myself. Would work well for this project. Should be able to buy some online. If you can't find any let me know and I may have a few pieces I could send your way

I would consider using UHMW for the white. It's pure white and easily polished out. Google it and check it out. I've used it a few times myself. Would work well for this project. Should be able to buy some online. If you can't find any let me know and I may have a few pieces I could send your way

That's interesting....I'll think about that. Do you happen to have any finished? Work it like most other synthetics?

That's interesting....I'll think about that. Do you happen to have any finished? Work it like most other synthetics?
I don't have any pics on hand of the finished product. Yes, work it like must sythetics. Take it to 800 and go right to buffing. Takes a nice polish

Back