Just finished restoring this tusk

Mark Knapp

Dealer - Purveyor
I just finished restoring this tusk. It's owner is picking it up this week. Thought you'd like to see it before it goes.

DSCF2881-XL.jpg

Would love to see an before shot to compare it to the beautiful restoration. With a curl like that I would hazard a guess that is a mammoth tusk

Would love to see an before shot to compare it to the beautiful restoration. With a curl like that I would hazard a guess that is a mammoth tusk

If you look below and behind the finished tusk, you can see an unfinished one for comparison. I will post more when I get a chance.

Mark I have heard that there is a lot of money to be made in the tundra digging up ivory. Is that true. That is a fine piece. What would it cost to buy that and bring back into the states.

You can find those type of mammoth tusks for sale. One like that will run north of $20K to $30K and more. They are EXPENSIVE!!!

Mark, isn't there restrictions on who can harvest mammoth ivory? OR - is it open season for anybody who wishes to search?

LOTS of mammoth is from the Sibrian part of the world.

You can find those type of mammoth tusks for sale. One like that will run north of $20K to $30K and more. They are EXPENSIVE!!!

Mark, isn't there restrictions on who can harvest mammoth ivory? OR - is it open season for anybody who wishes to search?

LOTS of mammoth is from the Sibrian part of the world.

I try not to do merchandising on chat forums. Many forums prohibit it.

This one, and other like it are found by native people in northern Alaska. It's not a matter of who can dig for mammoth tusks it's more a matter of where you look for them. It is not legal to get them from any public lands. I have never gone out and found a tusk for myself. I buy the ones I restore from Alaska Native people, miners on patented mining claims, people that own private gravel pits. Things like that.

As for cost, it depends on how much I have in it and how much time I spend restoring it. It's like knife making, there's not a huge amount of money to be had restoring tusks. You just have to like doing it.

Mark, the work you do is amazing! I see something like that and my mind goes to...……………. would love to have seen the animal that was wearing that! :cool:

Back